AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Another "what is this?" question....

by edible_hat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:59 pm

One Sunday afternoon many years ago there was a movie on SBS. All I can remember about it was that it was anime (duh), set in space, the dub was really dodgy (including changing character names to Duke Nukem and Commander Keen). There was a button labelled "DO NOT PRESS" that was pressed by a stuttering robot who wanted to become famous as the guy who pressed the unpressable button, but his plan backfired because the button was the trigger for a doomsday device that destroyed the universe. The protagonist was a blonde chick in a red jumpsuit.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Mappy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:29 pm

Quite apart from sounding like the plot of a Ren and Stimpy episode, would this be what you're looking for?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:16 pm

I assume so, the characters look pretty similar to what I remember. I'm amazed that you picked it from my shoddy description though.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Mappy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:31 pm

You're talking to Mappy, remember? 8)

Shoddy description doesn't hide universe-destroying device and blond chick in red jumpsuit. This is the only thing containing both that I can think of.

English dub was known, at one time, as Planet Busters. Never saw that version, as I had an avoidance to all things Carl Macek. The original version is just very strange. The robot was an mürrisch whom the chick had sweet-talked earlier in an attempt to get the weapon away from him. He had an mürrisch fit at the end when he realized he'd been duped and used the weapon, wiping himself and the entire world away, though the human characters were somehow preserved in a sword, which turned out all to be a story told by a higher being.... :?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Psike81 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:34 pm

It was the age when I could barely remember my name that I could somehow remember more of that anime than edible_hat . Only other problem was that ... I saw the english dub one .

I think the doomsday weapon was some RPG looking thing that when the little guy fired it out of spite ; its trajectory curved towards a Mothership sized craft which was coming in to land .

Seeing everything getting obliterated , ... the little inorganic could only say one word .

"Sorry"
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Psike81 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:38 pm

Mappy wrote:
... , though the human characters were somehow preserved in a sword, which turned out all to be a story told by a higher being.... :?

According to the english dub , it was a story for the celestial entity's daughter's birthday . Which really brings the situation to ... wtf ?
I must feel proud about the things I choose ...,

Be it Ero-games , doujinshi , or clothes ; its all the SAME !
Psike81

by Bazza » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:09 am

I don't know what you guys are onnabout, but the OP is obviously looking for the anime Altercation Amphibians, or 口論の水陸両生動物

8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:24 pm

Psike81 wrote:
Mappy wrote:
... , though the human characters were somehow preserved in a sword, which turned out all to be a story told by a higher being.... :?

According to the english dub , it was a story for the celestial entity's daughter's birthday . Which really brings the situation to ... wtf ?

Even more wtf when that scene only has bgm and no voices in the original.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man