AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

by Mappy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Watched the first episode of Higurashi's second season. Not exactly packed full of action, but helps smooth the way in for viewers not all that familiar with the first season. Mostly Akasaka (the detective seen in eps 14-15 of the first series), his subordinate and a well-aged Oishi wandering around the recently reopened ruins of the village of Hinamizawa (set today, of course), where they eventually meet up with the notorious "Shoujo A" (as the Japanese tend to call kids who commit rather violent and nasty crimes, protecting their identities) now 38-39 years old and a complete mental wreck. They discuss events pertaining to the last story arc of the first season, but with the ending not being so happy (there is only one survivor from the Hinamizawa disaster that occurred the day after Rena took the kids hostage at the school, Rena herself ("Shoujo A"), as she'd been carted away from the village and hospitalized for being a loon).

Extremely slow and talky, but quite creepy. You also get a few seconds of Rena doing the patented Higurashi mürrisch facial expressions. :)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:18 am

Relevant to my interests. :D

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by IceLee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:07 am

*karatechops*
IceLee

Re: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai

by Bazza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:22 am

>>...recently reopened ruins of the village of Hinamizawa (set today, of course), where they eventually meet up with the notorious "Shoujo A" (as the Japanese tend to call kids who commit rather violent and nasty crimes, protecting their identities) now 38-39 years old and a complete mental wreck.

Ok, so what year/s was the first season set in? I thought it was current-day until re-reading the above quote properly. Shmion had that modern-ish looking apartment thing in the big city... :?

1970's? Now that I think about it it, they did have skyscraper towers back in ye olde times. 8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Ryan White » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:17 pm

It took place back in '77-'78. Weren't you wondering why all the children weren't using computers or mobile phones?
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Phill » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm looking forward to watching this, hopefully it's as mind screwing as the first season was. :)
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by Mappy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:58 pm

The year most of the events take place in is 1983. The episodes where Akasaka investigates the kidnap of the dietman's son is set just before the series of murders begin, in 1978. Most of the kids (Keiichi, Mion/Shion and Rena) would be about my age or Madman's, today.

Interesting how Rena looks like she's in her 20's despite being a good 10-15 years older.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:01 pm

I have a hard time translating Japanese dates. It takes place in Showa 58, which converts to 1983.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:35 pm

Part of the new OP is the old one backwards.

Old OP backwards: http://youtube.com/watch?v=o_CTBXJPh3M
New OP from trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fW3ae-8MDH8
start at 1:08 and it sounds almost exactly the same.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:04 am

>>Weren't you wondering why all the children weren't using computers or mobile phones?

I figured, country town... no electricity, septic tanks, etc. The Japanese equivilent of Peterborough. :D

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:38 pm

I still don't think they had maid cafes back in 1983. Certainly not ones named "Angel Mort". 8)

Anyways, 07th Expansion are creating a new doujin game, in the style of Higurashi: Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:58 am

Spoilers in this, if you haven't seen the episode yet.

Episode 2: Yakusamashi-hen (The Disaster Awakening Chapter) Part 1 - Playing Tag

The start of the first of the 3 major arcs in this series of Higurashi, and one specifically written for television (in other words, not an arc that was used in the game). Higurashi creator Ryukishi07 requested that this arc be created to fill in some of the plot gaps left out in the first series, using some of the "Tips" from the game (extra bits of text information covering things that may or may not be pertinent to wtf is going on). As there are 23 episodes left in this season, this means that Yakusamashi-hen is likely to be no shorter than 7 episodes long. Long arc is long.

And as usual, the arc starts off with the classic "happy episode" before everything goes to crap. We have Rika, talking in her "Dark Rika" voice to someone who isn't there [spoiler](actually, they are.... they practically spoiler this by having the other silent participant in her conversation appear in the opening credits and the next episode previews, but I digress)[/spoiler] whilst downing a glass of wine. We have Satoko taking regular injections (the kind Rika keeps trying to use of people who go psycho in other chapters). Then we have Satoko in combat with Keiichi, first being defended by Shion, who appears to have done a 180 in her relationship with Satoko (she tied up and stabbed the girl to death in Meakashi-hen), probably because she subconsciously remembers her promise to Satoshi to protect Satoko, and then Satoko finally "aiding" Keiichi into getting deep in the merde with the class teacher.

And then we have the zombie-tag game, in which everyone who gets caught by the person who is "it" (in this case, Satoko) becomes a zombie and joins her in the hunt for others. This takes up the largest portion of the episode, so basically it is 15 minutes of amusing character-building as Keiichi gets betrayed again and again, first by Rika, then by Mion and finally by Rena. :lol:

This is followed by the losers' punishment, which is particularly bad in Keiichi's case as he has to dress up in a swan outfit, including suggestively-placed swan's head and neck, followed by the usual meeting with Takano and Tomitake and the retelling of the story about the murders in Hinamizawa, which particularly effects Rika. End of episode.

Creepy around the edges. We all know it won't last. This arc makes it look as if either Satoko or Rika will be the ones who will "lose" it and go postal on the rest of the cast before everyone dies. Again.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:02 pm

New OP = I wanna take Rika-chan home >.<. [edit: Is Rika-chan dead or not now?]

Ep. 1, The scene where it had [spoiler]everyone being happy, immediatley proceeded by a shot of Rika-chan's body[/spoiler], despite the inert cheesiness of it, honestly made my skin crawl. Serves me right for watching Higurashi by myself in the dark.[size=0]so ronery ;_;[/size] :ph34r:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 am

Now let us play SPOT THE INVISIBLE PERSON! :)

Can you see [spoiler]Hanyu[/spoiler] in this picture? :)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:00 pm

You'd have to be blind or colourblind not to.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Xenesis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:06 pm

Considering how tired I currently am, it actually took me a few tries to see it.
Xenesis

by (mad) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:15 pm

that took me far too long to see, i think the afterparty must still be effecting me, or maybe it's the boredom of first lectures
(mad)
180 Proof

by Bazza » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:30 pm

When you see it, bricks, etc. 8)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:40 pm

It took me all of 1.5 seconds. You guys must be really rooted by the AvCon annual illness.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Xenesis » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:42 pm

Yeah. Pretty much.

<5 Hours sleep per night for a week doesn't help much either.
Xenesis

by Last Exile » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 pm

When They Cry DVD 1 is available at Pete's on Thursday.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:57 am

Well, for those who have trouble (if any), look at this:

and then look at this again:

8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:28 am

Also;

PROTIP: Get image url and copypasta it into a new window. This overrides the forum software and presents a larger, clearer image... :)

*shakes fist at ajas forum software. :ouch:

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:30 pm

I now have the oav joke episode, sent to those in Japan who bought all the dvds.... Nekogoroshi-hen, or the Cat Killing Chapter. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:01 am

Episode 12 of Higurashi Kai has been cancelled by Toukai TV. See this thread.

And on the same day that this happens, the deal between Geneon and ADV has collapsed, meaning Geneon is now, pretty much, dea-ed. Putting all of Geneon's releases into limbo. Higurashi is one of them. See this story.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:08 am

The yanderes are taking over the earth. Don't let one become president. :P
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 am

And in honour of the (eventual) airing of episode 12:
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:59 am

9000 hours, over, mspaint, etc :D

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Pirate Man » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:59 am

That fanpic is much more better than the actual anime itself. At least the picture is succinct and to the point, unlike the anime :zzz:.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard