AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

my thoughts on Puella Magica Madoka so far...

by GarryGod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

Re: my thoughts on Puella Magica Madoka so far...

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:46 pm

You could always wish for that to happen. :3
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:08 pm

Oh please, 5 seconds of a Tool concert is OVER 9000 TIMES more mindbending than this amateurish stupidity! Not to mention worth seeing.

All this show does is show how stupid people in general are to be suckers for cheap tricks. And that Shinbo knows how to suckerpunch the able-to-pay otaku in Japan better than anyone at present. Shinbo is essentially the Dan Brown of anime - weaksauce shlock and making people rant over nothing while adding enough moe targets for the mechandise dollar to cash in. Heck, even KyoAni probably wish they had a formula more downpat than his.

I pity any naga who shells out anything for this.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Last Exile wrote:Oh please, 5 seconds of a Tool concert is OVER 9000 TIMES more mindbending than this amateurish stupidity! Not to mention worth seeing.

All this show does is show how stupid people in general are to be suckers for cheap tricks. And that Shinbo knows how to suckerpunch the able-to-pay otaku in Japan better than anyone at present. Shinbo is essentially the Dan Brown of anime - weaksauce shlock and making people rant over nothing while adding enough moe targets for the mechandise dollar to cash in.

I pity any naga who shells out anything for this.

did you watch episode 6?

no?

THEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Why would I even bother? Anyone who watches this show past the 1st episode deserves what they get. No sympathy.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Last Exile wrote:Why would I even bother? Anyone who watches this show past the 1st episode deserves what they get. No sympathy.

heh fractale ditto...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Ray Bradbury always was a choice piece of arsch. Hence why Hugh Hefner gave him a leg up. :wink:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Last Exile wrote:Ray Bradbury always was a choice piece of arsch. Hence why Hugh Hefner gave him a leg up. :wink:

you get the mendes you get da burning~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=838D3HhfURc
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Needs more zawa zawa.

Mirai wa bokura no te no naka!

Much better.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:10 pm

so did anyone get the reference or is mendes just a hater?
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 am

Thread unlocked.
You two should know why.
Let's see if they notice....
In any case, howzabout watching shows before we criticise them, 'kay? 8)

Oh, and my opinion of the episode: NSFW
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Mappy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Three down, two to go. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by kiddtic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:31 pm

he is a friggin "Incunbator!" so hes just harvesting little girls for energy. So cold this show wow. Ep 9 really surprised me. Just when you get to like a character they are killed off.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Mappy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:25 am

Yeah, but then when they start throwing death flags in your face, you have to expect it to happen.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm

episode 10 YES YES YES!!! OH GOD THIS IS AWESOME HOMURA IS DA BEST CHARACTER BY FAR :D this show has really gone the extra mile with this idea of homura and her abilitie the smartest and coolest way to sort out those witch's :D cause controlling time has never been so awesome :D
the doctor just got moe...
quebey is a piece of scheiße!

Zoey:grabin a shotgun!
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Hans Stockmann » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Sorry man. Patrick Troughton is far more moe.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann

by Mappy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:30 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:Sorry man. Patrick Troughton is far more moe.

Colin Baker is even more moe.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 am

Chris Eccleston is the most Moe character I ever seen. He left in the same year he was introduced because he was gonna be the most moe doctor you ever seen.

Anyhow the ending is that Madoka is gonna die, no matter what happens either gonna get hit by a bus or a Tsunami is gonna hit the place.
Reason being that Homura has created a Temporal Paradox and if Madoka doesn't die she has no reason to make the wish, then she'll be lectured by Coobie explains the situation.

I'll bet my SOUL on this ending, my SSSSOOOUUUULLLLL .
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm

You have a soul? Could have fooled me, I was certain you lost it in Sydney.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 pm

Garrygod wrote:cause controlling time has never been so awesome

It's just a timeloop. It's not even that interesting a timeloop. I think you need to read Stardust Crusaders.
Hans Stockmann

by Mappy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Colin Baker is still more moe.
And a yandere.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 am

As if. Clearly David Tennant is where it's at. Moe as and can play almost any character type. And he already time travels.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by kiddtic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Im gonna have to re watch episode 1 to fully get this episode, but it was certainly pretty awesome and yes Homura is the best character in the show.

I honestly have no idea how they are gonna end this but I hope everyone lives too many girls have died already :(
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Pirate Man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:30 am

Damn Madoka is canceled this week :(, I just don't know why :(
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:11 am

:lol: Oh, I'm sure you'll live.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by kiddtic » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:48 pm

Pirate Man wrote:Damn Madoka is canceled this week :(, I just don't know why :(

That Suuuuuucks!!!!
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Last Exile » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm

The official website of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica television anime series announced on Wednesday that the future airings and streams of the anime has been delayed "for now." Any news about the resumption of broadcasts or streams will be announced on the official website.

In addition, each of the first five Blue-ray Disc and DVD volumes have been delayed one month.

Okay, so should we bother to send someone to Rosewater to check if you-know-who is still alive?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:48 am

Shaft must've really been behind in production.
/cynicism
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:10 am

Mappy wrote:Shaft must've really been behind in production.
/cynicism

Well it's not like Shinbo hasn't been in that way before...*cough* Bakemonogatari partially animated all the way *cough* But the guy sells despite his half arsed attempts. Not to mention there's a merchandise frenzy for it in Japan at present.

And before I forget...

'In an article devoted to the ongoing Puella Magi Madoka Magica anime in the 34th issue (2011 Spring/April) of Asukashinsha's Quarterly S magazine on Tuesday, director Akiyuki Shinbo revealed that he wants to do a "Madoka 2" project as a side story to the anime series. While he said that writer Gen Urobuchi's plot scenarios and story for the anime series are excellent, he thinks that the characters' personalities are also well-developed with Ume Aoki's designs and the voice cast's talent. Therefore, he wants to do an ordinary slice-of-life story with the characters instead.

When the interviewer suggested that a different, "heartwarming" version of the story might be enjoyable to watch, Shinbo responded that such a version could have a bath scene, deal with the teacher Kazuko Saotome's romantic life, or cover the attempt of Madoka's mother to join a company. He added that if he can, he would like to do a second season or a side story of their characters' daily lives.'

Mercy...
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 am

Akiyuki Shinbo wrote:he thinks that the characters' personalities are also well-developed

Nope. The characters are ciphers to the drama. They don't act like logical, believable characters because they've been designed to travel with the plot, in all of its truncated, 12 episode shortness, rather than be properly fleshed out. It is one of the reasons I feel this show has no rewatch value.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:32 am

Last Exile wrote: Okay, so should we bother to send someone to Rosewater to check if you-know-who is still alive?

I can be undead now can I.

Mappy wrote:
Akiyuki Shinbo wrote:he thinks that the characters' personalities are also well-developed

Nope. The characters are ciphers to the drama. They don't act like logical, believable characters because they've been designed to travel with the plot, in all of its truncated, 12 episode shortness, rather than be properly fleshed out. It is one of the reasons I feel this show has no rewatch value.

It ain't that hard just chuck the stock-standard personalities in there, like it has been done by a million times before. Well that's how I see it, most of the girls are pretty much samey as any other magical girl/harem/Shoujo series so in that sense yes they are well developed. Just that they all die in the end.

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/adve ... hich/1523/ freaky game
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Hans Stockmann » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 am

They're not well-developed though. They're just flat archetypes who have barely budged at all.
Hans Stockmann

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:They're not well-developed though. They're just flat archetypes who have barely budged at all.

It worked for him in Bakemonogatari.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by kiddtic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Really guys? really? I mean its been like what a week in the series? also Homuras' character changes dramatically and Madoka is also changing slowly, heck even Kyubey has evolved from cute little plushy to cute little plushy that is Evil.

Its true it doesn't have that much re-watch value but I think it doesn't have anything to do with the characters.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:36 pm

We have had ten episodes that are all approximately 20 minutes each, giving us nearly three and a half hours of time to develop characters. In this amount of time other productions gave us such things as:
- Noriko Takaya developed from a sack of useless tears and cries of SUMISSU to someone willing to give her all in everything she did in life, regardless of how much pain it may cause.
- Simon went from a sack of useless tears and cries of ANIKI to an even larger sack of uselessDaisa tears and cries of ANIKI. Then actually used his head for a bit 20 minutes later.
- Naota went from a sack of useless and boredom to a well-adjusted kid who was no longer Enokido's mouthpiece for declaring HEY DUDES I GOT LAID.
- Shirotsugh developed from a sack of useless to a man who made things happen and accomplished something nobody had ever considered remotely possible.
- Shinji had developed from a sack of useless tears and cries of I MUSN'T RUN AWAY to a lad who was finally learning just how important communication with others is and how to enjoy life. A week or so in-universe later and he was a catatonic wreck who threw away all he'd just learned again.

Is that enough pretentious for you? Because I'm not going to talk about Gainax productions ever again after this thread, so fire away if you want to talk about that company of kids who never actually listen to the shows they recycle and grow up. Otherwise, let's use some other examples, from both animated works and other film:

- Chirico Cuvie had been hiding in Uoodoo for about a week by this point, and had started to witness that despite all the horrors of the war still around him, it was still possible to find ways of enjoying life.
- Daisaku had begun to face the reality of how harsh life can be, and was starting to hold to the belief that happiness can indeed be achieved without sacrifice.
- Domon's impulsive rage and atrocious communicative skills were really showing just how self-destructive they can be when you don't take time to slow down and think things through. A few episodes later, the results were disastrous.
- Shotaro (2004) had been traumatised and stood strong through it about ten times because that remake of Tetsujin is some harsh stuff.
- Roger Smith was starting to get some pretty serious identity issues from his line of work. Dorothy was starting to let on that perhaps she's not as emotionless as she claims.
- Akito had developed from a sack of useless tears and cries of I'M A COOK to a really bland protagonist who we just hope won't turn all angsty in a sequel movie. Yurika had grown and demonstrated some pretty serious backbone and demonstrated a good understanding of how harsh command can be with the whole Mars trip.
- Everyone on board the Soyakaze had started to ease up a bit, but certainly not enough. After all, Tylor can be pretty damn annoying to deal with as captain. I think he'd blown up around two fleets by this point though.
- Frieze had gone from smugly declaring "five minutes left" to looking a bit surprised at Goku's transformation into a super saiyan. Further surprise and the first punch will take another 5 episodes.
- Bruce Wayne had had almost everything taken away from him, yet he still showed how strong his belief in what's right and what's necessary to clean up the mess that is Gotham no matter what Heath Ledger may throw.
- Tommy Lee Jones went from a kindly, slightly cowardly but ostensibly good man to an all-out coward too scared to do the right thing. Goddamn it Chigurgh.
- Charles Foster Kane had gone from a ruthless illegitim to a depressed, lonely wretch filled with nothing but regret towards the successful life he had lived.
- Ebenezer Scrooge realised that not only did he know fear, but that he could actually love again.
- Ebenezer Blackadder realised that not only did he lack guile, but that he could actually punch Baldric over and over and it was mighty satisfying.
- Ripley went from just another worker to an iron-willed survivalist.
- Ripley went from an iron-willed survivalist to one who must save the children no matter the cost.
- Ripley went from an iron-willed survivalist who must save the children no matter the cost to a depressed, suicidal woman.
- Ripley went from an amnesiac clone to an iron-willed kamikaze. Also the protagonist of a film we will never talk about again.
- The Serpent developed from a spiteful wretch who wished only ill on others to a terrified being that will never again cause pain, thanks to the knowledge it acquired about the 20th Century. In less than 7 minutes.
- Shiro Amada went from a competent if racist soldier to a lovesick boy pining for his zeonic Juliet.

Madoka started the show as a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do. She then progressed to a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do. She's currently a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do.

As for Homura, in episode 1 she was a stoic with a chip on her shoulder and an obsession with Madoka. She's now a stoic with a chip on her shoulder and an obsession with Madoka who has backstory.

As for Kyuubey, he's not really evil. He's an alien energy contractor with no understanding of human thoughts and emotions. He's a neutral entity who believes that sacrificing one to save a million is an acceptable outcome. Earlier he was just an emotionless animal buddy. It's been pretty obvious from episode 1 that he has no emotions, since he's always maintained the same facial expressions and tone of voice, bar the times he wants to try and get a quick sell in a dangerous moment. He hasn't developed. He's just had exposition.

zu lange nicht gelesen Damn, I hate activities.
Hans Stockmann

by Hans Stockmann » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:41 pm

By the way, you can do excessive plot dumping yet still have character development. Go read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? if you want a quick example.
Hans Stockmann

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:Madoka started the show as a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do. She then progressed to a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do. She's currently a timid but nice girl who doesn't know what to do.

That pretty much sums it up. But hey, that's pretty much the formula for success these days. Exposition, development, storyline - they make people think. Either make them too tired to think or too trippy to think, then show them the candy. That pretty much sums up most of the last 2 years and the majority of the last decade. It's what sells. Quality is now arbitrary and almost meaningless. In a world where Shinbo falls light years behind schedule yet people forgive him with open arms and their wallets despite being the polar opposite of quality control, Anno never grows up and rehashes and fuels the whole 'still not over The War' and Miyazaki has long past thrown away his humanity (Pig in Porco Rosso) and only cares for anyone 12 and below, the same old is presiding with a more virulent effect than ever. Azuma said it himself - Japan doesn't want to change. They haven't wanted to for over 65 years. But hey, maybe the earthquake will give them the kick up the backside they needed to finally have some pride and want to be a country that is respected and has aspirations rather than settling for safe mediocrity in profession, living style and media forms.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Or maybe they'll continue to not want to change, because they've always had change forced upon them from outside influences. See Commodore Perry for details.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:17 pm

It made Rumiko Takahashi rich as hell. They get what they deserve.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Honestly, Detective Conan has now gone well beyond the realms of believable continuity, what with the show entering its 15th year with absolutely no change in Shinichi's predicament. Or sign that anyone is actually ageing, despite the fact that a decade has clearly passed in-show. Because, you know, it's one of those shows that the Japanese love and don't want to see end....

Sazae-san has been running for longer than I've been alive, and all of the characters are the same age as they were in 1969. Even though the modern world they live in has always been contemporary for when the episode airs. Sazae's must be a family of undying vampires, or something.... We just never see them quaffing blood from carotids.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 pm

Madoka 11 and 12 air April 22nd @ 2:40 am Japan time
Posted on April 10, 2011 by koda
derp

inb4 complaints that i’ve “localized” 4/21 26:40
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Followed Fractale into standard ending territory, though not entirely out of sync with the rest of the show.

It also becomes painfully obvious why they chose to put the screening of this off until Good Friday. Madoka died for your sins.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:57 pm

So she finally did something useful?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Her wish made her the goddess of string theory. She eschewed her own humanity to become a force of nature.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:28 pm

yeah "best anime ever" what hell stupid over-hyped shows bore me the most out of all seasons...this one takes that seat...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 pm

It's overhyped, yes, but it isn't terribad as others like, say, Bakemonogatari. The overhyping also isn't the fault of the show, itself.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:59 am

Mappy wrote:Her wish made her the goddess of string theory. She eschewed her own humanity to become a force of nature.

BAH, the whole story is exactly like first act in Faust.
Though anyone who didn't know or didn't even believe that Madoka die should be shot in the head.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:41 am

Pirate Man wrote:
Mappy wrote:Her wish made her the goddess of string theory. She eschewed her own humanity to become a force of nature.

Though anyone who didn't know or didn't even believe that Madoka die should be shot in the head.

Shall we exterminate the majority of the Animesuki forums then? Chuck Norris, reading their Madoka sub-forums is so freaking hilarious. And they are obsessed with arguing about the incubators.... If you're looking for a lol time
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:22 am

Last Exile wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:

Shall we exterminate the majority of the Animesuki forums then? Chuck Norris, reading their Madoka sub-forums is so freaking hilarious. And they are obsessed with arguing about the incubators.... If you're looking for a lol time

This show isn't Lain god damn it, I hate crappy forums.

In Faust Gretchen dies then ascends into heaven same thing happens in except she's a mere existence neither dead or alive. Might as well rip off the whole story while at it Gen. Even Animesuki argument is invalid Homura is FAUST trying all his might to save Gretchen.

Next I'm gonna hear that the anti-spirals are from QB planet etc,etc. They were monsters made from the distortion of time, Magical Girls need something to fight here they are. They can't attack thin air.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 am

I really get the feeling that the aftermath will be 1995 all over again. I didn't think history would repeat so soon...
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Hans Stockmann » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:05 pm

To be fair Pirate Man, Faust has had a great deal of retellings over the centuries. Many are just stories about the folly of succumbing to greed and toying with forces you don't understand. Even so, I'd figured that Urobuchi would use such an ending, if only because Aniplex had so much money riding on it that they'd refuse to have an ending that wouldn'te be accepted by more people than less.

Mendes: It won't be 1995 again because Der Krieg's ending actually had some interesting discussion on learning to communicate. Madoka's ending is just an ending.

On that note, Madoka is still not "this decade's Der Krieg". The reasons Der Krieg continues to have a presence in a community that normally forgets every show more than two years old are twofold:
1) Because the show actually had some fairly well-written characters which had room to breathe. We see characters grow, develop, being to learn to relate to each other and even overcome crises together. The later episodes are a punch in the gut precisely because they're characters who we know can do better, but instead take the easy way out and slide back into their shells. It's infuriating because somewhere inside, we actually wanted to see them become better people. As we've covered before, Madoka's cast are flat archetypes who inspire no sympathy from the viewer. Thus, the twists of the plot have nowhere near as much impact. Thus, we don't remember anything from Madoka besides some pretty pictures and another great Yuki Kajiura soundtrack.

2) Der Krieg has been continually pumping out new merchandise for over fifteen years. Thus, it maintains constant media presence. We don't forget the show because Gainax, Sega and Bandai refuse to let us do so. Will Aniplex be willing to go to such lengths with a 12 episode show that wasn't even finished on time? I don't think so. We might see them try to milk it for a year or two, but they'll drop it as soon as new market research suggests that a different genre of show is gaining popularity.

Oh by the way, congrats to Urobuchi for merely writing a bland ending, instead of something as weak as Fate/Zero's or apallingly pathetic like Saya no Uta's.
Hans Stockmann

by Mappy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Also: Eva was a prime-time anime. Many, many people were watching. Therefore many, many ordinary people were influenced by it. Madoka screened at ungodly o'clock in the morning, when only the retardedly dedicated would watch.

Like me. Damn streaming, taking hours of sleep away from me.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:24 pm

Last Exile wrote:I really get the feeling that the aftermath will be Hidamari Sketch all over again. I didn't think history would repeat so soon...

Here Mendes I fixed it for you.

Hans Stockmann wrote:To be fair Pirate Man, Faust has had a great deal of retellings over the centuries. Many are just stories about the folly of succumbing to greed and toying with forces you don't understand. Even so, I'd figured that Urobuchi would use such an ending, if only because Aniplex had so much money riding on it that they'd refuse to have an ending that wouldn't be accepted by more people than less.

About every other tale has been reused over and over and over again. Like Ikktousen.
Just that Urobuchi wouldn't just blatantly copy the ending of Faust, the only difference tag on a wish that does nothing but ficken things up even more.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by GarryGod » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:34 pm

you reckon whe could stop talking about a stupid series thats done and gone... come peoples! lets talk about this season! :D or the properties of the moon's gravitational pull...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Last Exile » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:16 am

GarryGod wrote:you reckon whe could stop talking about a stupid series thats done and gone... come peoples! lets talk about this season! :D or the properties of the moon's gravitational pull...

Need I remind you who created this thread?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 am

hey i made this thread cause i got pissed off with one furball! i did'nt expect it to be so popular! aite?
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:30 am

GarryGod wrote:hey i made this thread cause i got pissed off with one furball! i did'nt expect it to be so popular! aite?

The world rarely works the way you want it to. People aren't going to stop liking things you hate simply because you whine loudly about it. Unfortunately.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:35 am

Mappy wrote:
GarryGod wrote:hey i made this thread cause i got pissed off with one furball! i did'nt expect it to be so popular! aite?

The world rarely works the way you want it to. People aren't going to stop liking things you hate simply because you whine loudly about it. Unfortunately.

They listen when you pound it into oblivion. ;)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:05 am

Mappy wrote:

You know the best way to end this Garry, grab a contract and become a Magical Girl. Wish this thread never happen! HUE HUE HUE HUE HUE!!!!

Make your mind!! You hate a series, you like a series, you hate a series. Sounds like a your picking a petal off a flower, like whether or not you love yourself.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Dhumahn » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 am

Pirate Man wrote:You know the best way to end this Garry, grab a contract and become a Magical Girl.

CANNOT UNSEE!!!!! :ph34r:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Pandora's Box has just been opened. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by kiddtic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Woah there people, you seem to be convinced that nobody cared for the characters in this show at all. Thats not the case, perfect example is the fan reaction to Mamis' death. Nobody saw it coming, nobody thought she would stay dead and there was an uproar because of it.

Also, while many anime fans have seen this sort of thing done before theres many many new anime fans that havnt. I was fortunate enough to have seen Eva simply because it struck my interest personally. This is all so new and different for a majority of fans that were brought to anime through Naruto and Bleach.

Its amazing really that a show can be compared to EVA in this day and age and a magical girl show by SHAFT! This show is also already very highly rated. Its in the mid twenties on ANN above the original FMA!

For what its worth it deserves it, it dared to be different in a time when being "safe" was the only way you could retain a profit. I hear its pre orders in Japan are insane so hopefully it will do well.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Last Exile » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:47 pm

So you prefer 1995 over 1998?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 pm

kiddtic wrote:Woah there people, you seem to be convinced that nobody cared for the characters in this show at all. Thats not the case, perfect example is the fan reaction to Mamis' death. Nobody saw it coming, nobody thought she would stay dead and there was an uproar because of it.

Also, while many anime fans have seen this sort of thing done before theres many many new anime fans that havnt. I was fortunate enough to have seen Eva simply because it struck my interest personally. This is all so new and different for a majority of fans that were brought to anime through Naruto and Bleach.

Its amazing really that a show can be compared to EVA in this day and age and a magical girl show by SHAFT! This show is also already very highly rated. Its in the mid twenties on ANN above the original FMA!

For what its worth it deserves it, it dared to be different in a time when being "safe" was the only way you could retain a profit. I hear its pre orders in Japan are insane so hopefully it will do well.

Everyone hated Mami so no one cared !!!

Its not a mind ficken in all reality it has been done before in a series of Game called Chrono Trigger, which explored Time Travel Deeply. You have to make an anime Deeper than Chrono Series or Time Travel doesn''t work.

The second page I made a revelation that Madoka will die either by outside effects or natural. Which generally I was right, Her becoming God was pretty much no surprised since all bases was covered. Probably a wish to prevent all the things happening came across EVERYONES MIND. When your dealing with Time Travel everything is fucked. I bet on the ending where she died and I was right, the other one is Homura jumping back but that was EXTREMELY unlikely. Even EPS 10 told you that Madoka will die.

Second IT was based on Faust and Replicated it exactly. Homura was Faust, QB the Devil and Madoka was Gretchen. Almost everyone had the 2 Switched around, until it finalized in Episode 10. Sucks that everything was explained in EPS 10.

Third the wish Madoka made and the enemies replaced them made sense. There must be something to wipe out the Witches, pretty much the Demons have distorted faces at that time because that's what they were. Enemies made in place of Witches.

The only problem is with the show if you delved deep enough, Madoka is not complicated at all, it would of been different but they made a bland predictable anime.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 pm

kiddtic wrote:Woah there people, you seem to be convinced that nobody cared for the characters in this show at all. Thats not the case, perfect example is the fan reaction to Mamis'death. Nobody saw it coming, nobody thought she would stay dead and there was an uproar because of it.

There was an uproar at the time, but people quickly got used to it. It was basically Urobuchi laying down the ground rules for the show: in this series, the magic girls can (and will) die, and that may happen when you're least expecting it. This despite the fact that Mami was, in retrospect, throwing up death flags all through that episode.

Pirate Man wrote:The second page I made a revelation that Madoka will die either by outside effects or natural. Which generally I was right, Her becoming God was pretty much no surprised since all bases was covered. Probably a wish to prevent all the things happening came across EVERYONES MIND. When your dealing with Time Travel everything is fark. I bet on the ending where she died and I was right, the other one is Homura jumping back but that was EXTREMELY unlikely. Even EPS 10 told you that Madoka will die.

I particularly like the theory, based on the conversation between Homura and QB at the end of the episode, that Madoka may not have existed at all, and that the world we saw at the end of the show was reality. Everything we saw before was Homura's attempt to make sense of, and come to terms with, the world of magical girls as it exists. It's Urobuchi's final sting in the tail for the series. It's also a pretty standard plot device that doesn't really take away from the satisfyingly average conclusion the show had.

12 episodes were never really going to be enough to make the characters well-rounded individuals. They were just archetypes, designed to react to events as they happened. We never really got the context for much of their reactions, other than Homura.

Pirate Man wrote:The only problem is with the show if you delved deep enough, Madoka is not complicated at all, it would of been different but they made a bland predictable anime.

Bland: no. Predictable: Oh hell, yes. Everyone could see where this was going about a quarter way through the show. Of course, most of the fun about shows like this comes in speculating how they're going to get there. I don't think I've ever seen one show where there has been so much "speculah" going on, not even with Code Geass or Sora no Woto. And as with all things, throw out enough theories and several will stick. That's why everyone is patting themselves on the back for predicting how it will all end. Anyone could have written Madoka. Probably a lot better than Urobuchi, too.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:47 pm

But that's by intention. Since when does good anime actually sell?

'The War' pilfered the guts of Ideon since most people wouldn't have had a clue as Ideon was made in the early's 80s and Tomino was already in the process of losing his marbles, making Anno iconic. Calculated rehash.

And now it is being repeated with Shinbo rewriting Faust but with all the tricks he has learnt over the last few years that he had found to be guaranteed successes via his other series. He's tapped into the instant gratification generation and pushed all the buttons they want pushed. It is the most calculating, scheming title in quite some time. Calculated rehash.

And Shinbo has already admitted Madoka side-series will be K-ONesque. More calculated rehash.

Miyazaki, Anno, Shinbo - they are the masters of rehash and Japan likes rehash. It fuels the baby boomer ways of thinking and allows them to still whinge about the war.

Regardless of what financial windfall comes Shinbo's way, he didn't win the war. Shinbo isn't the man. To be the man, you gotta BEAT THE MAN! Anno never beat the man. Miyazaki never beat the man. So none of them are THE MAN. They never will be the man. They're just perpetuators of a stale illusion that is slowly killing Japan.

MAJOR EDIT: Oh, Chuck Norris...

On Friday, writer Akihiro Horiuchi posted a Business Media Makoto magazine article about applying for a job in the recovery effort of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. The Great Eastern Japan Earthquake disaster (Higashi Nihon Daishinsai) caused a tsunami that damaged the plant and led to the release of radioactive isotopes.

Horiuchi documented his application for a part-time job in the plant's recovery, as well as his research on conditions in the area and other jobs in comparable fields. For the posted job listing, 10 people would be working three hours a day in protective gear near the power plant. Horiuchi noted the following:

Of course, I'd have to be careful about radiation, but no recovery worker has died, so I decided that it wasn't that dangerous of a job. I saw the final episode of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, so I'm not worried.

As of Friday, Horiuchi has not heard back about his application. The job listing page has already been removed, so Horiuchi believes that he was passed over for the job.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 am

Mappy wrote:

Pirate Man wrote:The only problem is with the show if you delved deep enough, Madoka is not complicated at all, it would of been different but they made a bland predictable anime.

Bland: no. Predictable: Oh hell, yes. Everyone could see where this was going about a quarter way through the show. Of course, most of the fun about shows like this comes in speculating how they're going to get there. I don't think I've ever seen one show where there has been so much "speculah" going on, not even with Code Geass or Sora no Woto. And as with all things, throw out enough theories and several will stick. That's why everyone is patting themselves on the back for predicting how it will all end. Anyone could have written Madoka. Probably a lot better than Urobuchi, too.

I agree with that, Bland hell no. But I just felt really really disappointed in the ending this is probably not enough bases were covered in the show but a 12 episode show isn't going to be much at all. No time whatsoever to flesh out the characters because of these weird 12-13 epsiode seasons. What happened to the 26 episode season? like EVA who had time to flesh out the Characters *snicker* Hanns Stockman.

Had a feeling they might of changed the endings, cause of the Earthquake in Japan and all.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 am

Pirate Man wrote:What happened to the 26 episode length?

Too much of a financial risk. Do one season and see if it works in almost all cases. Burst bubble economy + lingering recession + earthquake = We ain't taking risks for most of this decade. Expect calculated risks and very safe options to dominate.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 am

This is why it is always good to see studios and networks taking risks with longer series like Kemono no Souja Erin (52 episodes). Because, given the material, it must've been a hard sell....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:10 am

Last Exile wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:What happened to the 26 episode length?

Too much of a financial risk. Do one season and see if it works in almost all cases. Burst bubble economy + lingering recession + earthquake = We ain't taking risks for most of this decade. Expect calculated risks and very safe options to dominate.

Well I can't give you the Earthquake reason, First NZ then Japan just massive bad luck. IF you could predict Earthquakes none of this would of happened nor seasons be delayed.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:32 am

The earthquake reason is after the fact. Hence 'rest of the decade'.

And while speaking with Mappy yesterday, it occurred to me:

Shinbo and Madoka. Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code.

They're having very similar effects on their niches, aren't they?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by GarryGod » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:50 am

da vinci codes a good book tho i don't read much but i enjoyed it...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Pirate Man » Sun May 01, 2011 1:49 am

Oh well I have to bow down to Madoka now.
Almost Eva level sales

http://www.japanator.com/not-suffering- ... 6.phtml%5C

Over 100 000 in 3 months !!!
Hello Shaft your on level now :)
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Combined Blu-Ray and DVD sales for Week 1 = 84k. The full week it got after the first day sales of 22k were another 53k. Now holds the record for Week 1 sales, formerly held by Bakemonogatari's last volume at 51k.

More like 100k in a month, Jason.

I told you, Mappy.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Last Exile wrote:84k. The full week it got after the first day sales of 22k were another 53k. Now holds the record for Week 1 sales, formerly held by Bakemonogatari's last volume at 51k.

More like 100k in a month, Jason.

I told you, Mappy.

Ya true.

That's what happens when u make a contract.

Being Pullea Magi is suffering.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sat May 07, 2011 1:54 am

Pirate Man wrote:Being Pullea Magi is suffering.

Being a grammar nazi is suffering....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat May 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Mappy wrote:

Being on 4chan is suffering...
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Pirate Man wrote:
Mappy wrote:

Being on 4chan is suffering...

Going to 4chan willingly is suffering.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man