AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Comments: Loups=Garous and Oblivion Island.

by Mappy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Loups=Garous

6/10

"And I would've gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids!"

I don't hate this. But there was a lot of promise with the concepts and the world it was set in. And somehow they frittered all of that away with ham-fisted characterisation and an absurd resolution. I really would've liked a bit more exploration of the system and the society, how it all worked and such, but all of that became background noise as it went along.

Character designs and animation were reasonable enough, nothing great mind you, just good enough for the job.

Overall, just disappointing.

Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror

6/10

This is, quintessentially, a family movie. Structurally, certainly in terms of the way it plays out, it is similar to Spirited Away (which isn't saying much, as this sort of tale is a childrens'-story staple), albeit much shorter and with an alternate fantasy world that isn't as well realised, along with cosmetic theme differences. The plot and the characterisation follow a well-worn path and it is easy to guess where things are headed at pretty much every stage of the film. It is entertaining in its own way, as long as you go into it expecting light, uncomplicated entertainment.

The 3D look isn't too bad, as far as a Japanese production goes. Don't expect perfection.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man