AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Cowboy Bebop live-action confirmed, Keanu Reeves to be Spike

by Last Exile » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:42 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -announced

The Japanese animation studio Sunrise has officially announced the plans for a live-action film adaptation of its Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime franchise. The American film studio Twentieth Century Fox, the production company 3 Arts Entertainment, and Sunrise itself are collaborating on the project. Keanu Reeves (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, Johnny Mnemonic) is slated to star. Joshua Long is acting as a production supervisor, and Erwin Stoff, a film producer who worked closely with Reeves on The Matrix and A Scanner Darkly, is also attached. The associate producers are Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, the original Cowboy Bebop director Shinichiro Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto. The Sunrise studio itself and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) are both acting as production consultants.

Stoff first revealed the existence of the proposed project last July to the IFMagazine.com entertainment website after the parties "just signed it the other day." Reeves confirmed the plans and his intentions to play the lead role with MTV Movies Blog last month. He also indicated that the preliminary story outline partly draws inspiration from the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the animated series. Reeves and Watanabe had previously worked together on the "Kid's Story" segment of The Animatrix animated video anthology.

Watanabe's original Cowboy Bebop series follows the motley crew of the spaceship Bebop as it travels throughout the solar system in search of the next job. The anime distributor Bandai Entertainment and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block released the 1998 television series in the United States, and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the subsequent 2001 animated movie. The anime was also adapted into two separate manga series, and Tokyopop released both manga series in North America.

Keanu as Spike....well, if Watanabe is on this, then I guess they could get it right....

Mappy, I think you can say what should be said better than I can say it. So please say it because I have no idea how to say it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

Re: Cowboy Bebop live-action confirmed, Keanu Reeves to be Spike

by Mappy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:34 am

Three words:

Oh.
God.
No.

(Unless they cast Michael Clarke Duncan as Jet. Then it shall be AWESOME :wink: )
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Mappy wrote:
>> Keanu as Spike....well, if Watanabe is on this, then I guess they could get it right....

Three words:

Oh.
God.
No.

(Unless they cast Michael Clarke Duncan as Jet. Then it shall be AWESOME :wink: )

Nope, no matter how many good actors they throw at the movie, scheiße main actor in a movie is still scheiße movie. Matrix, Speed and Earth stood still anyone?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Mappy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:21 am

Yes, but we can have the satisfaction of knowing that, eventually, SPIKE DIES. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:45 pm

What if they screw that up?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by khajiit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:32 pm

Atory wrote:What if they screw that up?

O_o.... That is a scary thought.

Also Ed, who would be cast as Ed? Ed alone will either save or ruin this movie. Well her and Ein anywhoo.
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by Last Exile » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm

They can stuff that up too. Knowing America, they could put the Olsen twins or Hannah Montana in it. And that would be the mock dirge right there.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm

And all the Firefly masturbators will still call it a ripoff. As they do, now, whenever they see the anime and fail to notice its production date (being some years before Firefly's) at the end of the opening credits, clear as day. But if there is anything I've learnt over the years on the internets, it's that there are no bounds to willing stupidity.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Everyday life gives me countless examples, let alone the Internet.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:32 pm

Last Exile wrote:They can stuff that up too. Knowing America, they could put the Olsen twins or Hannah Montana in it. And that would be the mock dirge right there.

Whilst Miley Cyrus might be an obvious choice to play Ein, I don't think she could quite capture the nuances of his character.

Oh well, hopefully they'll do better than that live action DBZ movie. I'm not even a fan of DBZ anymore but when I saw the trailer for it I almost got a heart attack V_V
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by Mappy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:33 am

khajiit wrote:Whilst Miley Cyrus might be an obvious choice to play Ein, I don't think she could quite capture the nuances of his character.

I think she'd have a problem right from the start.... Though some would probably describe her as a bit of a dog on many fronts. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:58 pm

What really worries me is who on earth they'd pick to play Faye Valentine! Honestly...is there actually anyone in Hopllywood that would actually look good in Faye's yellow PVC outfit? Not to mention replicate Faye's personality, physique and the like?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 am

Last Exile wrote:What really worries me is who on earth they'd pick to play Faye Valentine! Honestly...is there actually anyone in Hopllywood that would actually look good in Faye's yellow PVC outfit? Not to mention replicate Faye's personality, physique and the like?

I don't think it'd be too hard to find an actress to play Faye and it would probably be easier and more comfortable to make the outfit out of another material.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 pm

If it isn't PVC, it isn't Faye.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Last Exile wrote:If it isn't PVC, it isn't Faye.

Can you provide us with a source stating that the outfit is made of PVC?
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Google searching seems to suggest vinyl for flexibility and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) coating for its sheen, as vinyl alone has little lustre yet Faye's outfit has a lot.

I'm sure plenty could 'try' to fit in it. Whether they actually 'look good' in it is a completely different kettle of fish and something that is very hard to pull off, according to cosplayers/bloggers comments.
Disgusting...
Last Exile