AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Asō

by Mappy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:26 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... nister-aso

The Reuters and AFP news services report that acclaimed Studio Ghibli co-founder and director Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Spirited Away, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea) criticized Japanese Prime Minister Asō during a Thursday news conference for overemphasizing his manga reading. When asked about the conservative minister's manga habit, Miyazaki said, "It's an embarrassment. That's something that should be done in private." Miyazaki also downplayed the use of Japanese entertainment to promote the country — as Asō has been advocating — and to raise Japan's youth. The director warned of nationalism by noting, "We learned from the last war that the town we love or the country we love can always turn into something bad to the world. I believe we must not forget what we learned."

This article was originally an update to an article about Asō and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's reported plans to discuss a joint anime production starring the Japanese manga character Doraemon and the Russian folklore creature "Dorafei."
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Hayao Miyazaki Criticizes Prime Minister Asō

by Last Exile » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:14 am

Chilling...that's all I have to say.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:53 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... se-english
Looks like Miyazaki is on the whingefest trail.
Normally, I would laugh at these reports, as every time Miyazaki opens his mouth, great rivers of intellectual fecal matter gush out and pollute everything with his delusional inability to accept the fact that the world will move on, regardless of whatever his opinion happens to be.
But Aso is a tool. So I'll have to agree with him on this one.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:46 pm

The sad fact is it's been a LONG time since Japan has actually has a prime minister that isn't a tool. :roll: The fact Aso is getting cosy with the Russians is even worse.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Aso is also extreme right-wing, and a war-crimes denier. As I said, I have to side with Miyazaki on this one. His old, somewhat battered leftist roots might be showing, and naturally he would despise someone like Aso, but it is sad that this delusional individual might be right on this subject. Aso is playing up the youth and/or otaku vote, here. I mean, it is all well and good for politicians to tell people what their hobbies and interests might be, if only to show that they aren't completely political animals. But when it becomes obsessive....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:41 pm

Yep, for sure. Patriotism is one thing but blatant nationalism...nothing to like about it. Exploiting something like manga to suck that many people in is just not on. Furthermore, when someone that nationalistic is getting cosy with another lot ever more nationalistic in the Putin/Medvedev combo - that's cause for concern.
Disgusting...
Last Exile