AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Playlist - 5th June 2007 - OVA Night

by Dhumahn » Wed May 30, 2007 8:47 am

I'm just going to have a shot at this, as I really have no idea for the playlist order this week:

Movie-
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

OAVs-
Ichigo Mashimaro OVA 2
Hellsing Ultimate 3
Yukikaze 3
Saint October 3 (plenty of 3's here)

and anything else we can find

...enjoy.

(Next week's replacement for Welcome to the N.H.K. is Lucky Star)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by Last Exile » Wed May 30, 2007 10:48 am

3 is a lucky number after all.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Considering this playlist is somewhere close to 4 hours, I'd say it is less of "and anything else we can find" and more of "something will be culled from this list".
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Phoenix » Wed May 30, 2007 2:04 pm

So is that means we are going to have a 4 hours playlist next week?

PS: Yeah!!! Lucky Star >_<
well...this is a "Geass Star"
http://photo6.yupoo.com/20070503/045131 ... guendc.jpg
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Ryan White » Wed May 30, 2007 4:38 pm

Final Playlist

Hellsing Ultimate 3
Saint October 3
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Ichigo Mashimaro OVA 2

Yes, it's in this order because of the projector's annoying habit of switching off during the meeting.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Atory » Wed May 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Yay... I can show up late!

For once it's not in an order that I keep going in and out of the room.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Pirate Man » Wed May 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Phoenix wrote:So is that means we are going to have a 4 hours playlist next week?

PS: Yeah!!! Lucky Star >_<
well...this is a "Geass Star"
http://photo6.yupoo.com/20070503/045131 ... guendc.jpg

Code Geass is mentioned in a newtype mag in eps 8 of lucky star ironically.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Phoenix » Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 am

Pirate Man wrote:

Ohoh really? It is not surprise though.

The JP version Newtype always targeting animes which very popular, hence they can stick to them and got huge amount of income from them. However the animes they choose are not always good, like FMA was not bad at all but GUNDAM Seed & Destiny were in the list of the worst Gundam shows in history(can't say much about Code Geass yet, but I loved it). Those anime occupy the mag cover again and again, and articles about them will be put on every single month. So many other anime companies do dissatisfy with this fact but can't do anything ^^bbbbb
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Phill » Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 am

Hellsing Ultimate 3 - Good
Saint October 3 - Good
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo - Good
Ichigo Mashimaro OVA 2 - Good

:)
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by Last Exile » Thu May 31, 2007 1:50 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:

The JP version Newtype always targeting animes which very popular, hence they can stick to them and got huge amount of income from them. However the anime they choose are not always good, like FMA was not bad at all but GUNDAM Seed & Destiny were in the list of the worst Gundam shows in history(but can't say much about Code Geass yet, but I loved it). Those anime occupy the mag cover again and again, and articles about them will be put on every single month. So many other anime companies do dissatisfy with this fact but can't do anything ^^bbbbb

I remember seeing one of their 10 fave animes of all time poll. 6 were Gundam series, Der Krieg was also in there. So I generally ignore anything Japanese Newtype has to say because a magazine fixated on mecha anime doesn't do it for me.

Funnily enough, Gundam SEED is consistently polling at #1 in a lot of all time polls over there. Taste, quality and popularity are three traits that never go hand in hand, it seems.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 pm

Japanese fans have a strange idea about what is good. If it contains the word "Gundam", then it almost automatically is considered "good", even if its animated excrement.

Any top ten list that doesn't contain shows in the nature of Mushi-shi or Haibane Renmei deserves to be ignored as the prattling of the developmentally stunted.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Thu May 31, 2007 8:09 pm

Mappy wrote:Any top ten list that doesn't contain shows in the nature of Mushi-shi or Haibane Renmei deserves to be ignored as the prattling of the developmentally stunted.

Must get around to watching these two... I've seen a couple of episodes of Mushi-shi... I know what I am missing out on.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Pirate Man » Thu May 31, 2007 9:15 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:

The JP version Newtype always targeting animes which very popular, hence they can stick to them and got huge amount of income from them. However the animes they choose are not always good, like FMA was not bad at all but GUNDAM Seed & Destiny were in the list of the worst Gundam shows in history(can't say much about Code Geass yet, but I loved it). Those anime occupy the mag cover again and again, and articles about them will be put on every single month. So many other anime companies do dissatisfy with this fact but can't do anything ^^bbbbb

Gundam SEED & Destiny seemed to have stronger character design and dare I say this more defining personality traits which made me continue to watch it. I dont particularly like the series myself (grew up in the age of Transformers, Robotech/Macross, He-man etc.) but it seems that the characters have a more defining role similar to the Final Fantasy games even though they are overly stereotypical.

The main anime that was on the Cover was Heroic Age in this weeks episode XD.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Madman » Thu May 31, 2007 10:15 pm

Atory wrote:
Mappy wrote:Any top ten list that doesn't contain shows in the nature of Mushi-shi or Haibane Renmei deserves to be ignored as the prattling of the developmentally stunted.

Must get around to watching these two... I've seen a couple of episodes of Mushi-shi... I know what I am missing out on.

well the, obviously i am developmentally stunted. haibane renmai was mainly useful as a cure for insomnia. 13 episodes of nothing, with no real conclusion. and this coming from someone who thinks hack series is drawn out... :?
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Mappy » Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 pm

Madman wrote:well the, obviously i am developmentally stunted. haibane renmai was mainly useful as a cure for insomnia. 13 episodes of nothing, with no real conclusion. and this coming from someone who thinks hack series is drawn out... :?

And this is from someone who says I didn't understand .hack. 8)

That's alright, Madman. We don't think any worse of you for not liking HR. Yes, we couldn't really think any worse of you.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Wataru » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:09 am

So, you guys will not show Yukikaze 3?
well...actually i am really looking forward for it. :(
But, if there is no time it is ok. :D
"Why is female character in Anime too MOE!?"
Wataru

by Mappy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:38 am

I suppose the biggest problem with Yukikaze is that its length is somewhat awkward.... If we played it it is possible that we wouldn't have the time for a 4th title on the playlist. The same applies to Freedom.

IM and SO probably sit neatly around the 3h15m time limit we set for ourselves.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Phoenix » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:11 am

Mushi-shi is so good, even I did enjoy the manga more than anime.
It is highly admired by professional media reviewer, but sadly, the actual show was forced to stop because it was not popular enough to keep it on air(the TV stations only played the first season then stopped, and after few months they finally played the second season).

I Haven't seen Haibane Renmei though...

Pirate Man wrote:Gundam SEED & Destiny seemed to have stronger character design and dare I say this more defining personality traits which made me continue to watch it. I dont particularly like the series myself (grew up in the age of Transformers, Robotech/Macross, He-man etc.) but it seems that the characters have a more defining role similar to the Final Fantasy games even though they are overly stereotypical.

The main anime that was on the Cover was Heroic Age in this weeks episode XD.

But you know what?
A booklet about Code Geass and poster or postcards(can't remember) of Gundam Seed will come with Newtype of Jun ^^bbbbbbbbb

The characters design of Gundam Seed is Hisashi Hirai.
Well, I have to say I am a fans of him for somereasons(keypoint 1: Tow Ubukata & Soukyuu no Fafner, keyword 2: Infinite Ryvius).
Nevertheless I am very disapointting the fact that his characters always look too similar. This problem is getting worse and worse after Gundam Seed as well. So for me, he is more like a good illustrator rather than good character designer.
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Last Exile » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:04 am

Haibane Renmei, in my opinion, is beyond godlike. Will always be in my top 10.

I must say I'm glad people actually followed up Mushishi from that poll I posted a few months ago. I thought some people would be pleasantly surprised. :)
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Pirate Man » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:06 am

Phoenix wrote:

But you know what?
A booklet about Code Geass and poster or postcards(can't remember) of Gundam Seed will come with Newtype of Jun ^^bbbbbbbbb

Well, I have to say I am a fans of him for somereasons(keypoint 1: Tow Ubukata & Soukyuu no Fafner, keyword 2: Infinite Ryvius).
Nevertheless I am very disapointting the fact that his characters always look too similar. This problem is getting worse and worse after Gundam Seed as well. So for me, he is more like a good illustrator rather than good character designer.

It seems to me that the character designs and personalities in GS is based on Final Fantasy.

Token Bad guy not really a bad guy
Token Good guy who is a bad guy
Token Sweet girl that dies
Token Heroes

They might as well called it GS: the final fantasy experience.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Last Exile » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:50 pm

Pirate Man wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

But you know what?

It seems to me that the character designs and personalities in GS is based on Final Fantasy.

Token Bad guy not really a bad guy
Token Good guy who is a bad guy
Token Sweet girl that dies
Token Heroes

They might as well called it GS: the final fantasy experience.

Hmm, that explains part of why I like it then. I've never played any Final Fantasy whatsoever. :)
Disgusting...
Last Exile