AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Playlist - 29th May 2007

by Dhumahn » Wed May 23, 2007 8:40 am

...That Tokyo Majin is a bit of a yawn, don't you think??...

This week's playlist is as follows:

Rozen Maiden Traumend 4 (16)
Pumpkin Scissors 3
Welcome to the N.H.K! 24 (Final)
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou Tou 2
Ouran High School Host Club 18
Death Note 11
Code Geass 8
Utaweruramono 9

...enjoy!!
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 29th May 2007

by Atory » Wed May 23, 2007 8:41 am

Dhumahn wrote:...That Tokyo Majin is a bit of a yawn, don't you think??...

I loved it.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Phoenix » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 pm

well, can anyone tell me the basic story of the Tokyo Majin then?

I was up to ep3 or 4(can't remember exactly) before, and still confused by the time line between eps.

I know it is very hard to get a "violent" anime to replace Black Lagoon, but personally, I just do not feel like this show that has endless random people murdering and boring fight but pointless story. On the other hand, killing monsters to protect the world is not a fresh topic anyways.
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Mappy » Thu May 24, 2007 6:47 am

Well, for those who dislike it, there is always the episode 5 thingummy.... 8)

And if I know Ryan, if it gets dumped then the replacement is likely to be Soukou no Strain, from pure bodycount alone. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Pirate Man » Thu May 24, 2007 10:08 am

Phoenix wrote:well, can anyone tell me the basic story of the Tokyo Majin then?

I was up to ep3 or 4(can't remember exactly) before, and still confused by the time line between eps.

I know it is very hard to get a "violent" anime to replace Black Lagoon, but personally, I just do not feel like this show that has endless random people murdering and boring fight but pointless story. On the other hand, killing monsters to protect the world is not a fresh topic anyways.

When you watch Anime they go along the lines of American TV Series and Movies both churn out the same amount of crap and good stuff, for example Black Lagoon is about the same as 300 for action and story (I can see a 'Manhunt' coming for stating this). Some are watchable in a group (e.g AJAS) while others you wanna watch alone.

And for the story Just do the good old wikipedia/google look up if you can be bothered asking what the story is about since the anime hasnt finished yet XD.

Here is the plotline from AniDB

The story takes place in Shinjuku, Tokyo.

In spring, a mysterious student transfers to Magami Academy. His name is Hiyu Tatsuma. Then, he meets Horaiji Kyoichi of the kendo club, Daigo Yuya of the wresting club, Sakurai Komaki of the kyudo (Japanese archery) club, and Misato Aoki who is the student leader, as if they were attracted by something. Being influenced by Ryumyaku or Dragon Vein, which became active suddenly, they are awakened as “persons who posses powers”. Since that day, monsters called “Oni” appear and begin to assault Tokyo. Also, those who use evil power to control Oni appear. To protect Tokyo from them, Tatsuma and his friend stand up to fight. Then, they have to face their destiny….
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Ryan White » Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 pm

Mappy wrote:Well, for those who dislike it, there is always the episode 5 thingummy.... 8)

And if I know Ryan, if it gets dumped then the replacement is likely to be Soukou no Strain, from pure bodycount alone. 8)

:whistling:
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Fri May 25, 2007 9:36 pm

More of a strain on the eyes. The animation was exceddingly bad.

Have to say I blutig loved Death Note and Code Geass though, so I whole heartedly approve of anything with high body counts as long as it has other good qualities. *Self-confessed Elfien Lied junkie*.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Madman » Fri May 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Last Exile wrote:

More of a strain on the eyes. The animation was exceddingly bad.

Have to say I blutig loved Death Note and Code Geass though, so I whole heartedly approve of anything with high body counts as long as it has other good qualities. *Self-confessed Elfien Lied junkie*.

last exile i find it interesting that you say you 'despise' minderjährigen mädchen, but 'whole heartedly approve of anything with a high body count'. does this mean that you approve of murder and killing on a grand scale? oh, but its only anime i hear you say. but then isnt minderjährigen mädchen? if you are going to equate minderjährigen mädchen onto something real, then do the same for your scenes of murdering innocent people, dont have double standards. and now i say, 'it IS only anime', isnt it?
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Atory » Sat May 26, 2007 12:19 am

Burn!
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Sat May 26, 2007 2:51 am

lol. If you think the animation in Tokyo Majin is bad, then be glad that a few series have been cut as potential playlist items based on the fact that my eyes started bleeding before the end of their first episodes.
I like shows with high body counts. No surprises there. I find killing somebody to be far preferable to making there lives a living hell through trauma caused to them through violation. There are also the high body counts where the bad guys are the ones who wind up dead, who doesn't like seeing evil downed in massive numbers? And what about martyrdom? surely the higher the number of martyrs the greater the cause.
Is mass killing a good thing? No. Is it entertaining to watch? Well, depends upon the person's taste and the level of graphic detail, but generally yes.
Given that it's perfectly legal to watch footage of mass murder and killings in documentaries and in films yet it is illegal to view footage of persons under the age of majority engaging in sexual activities, it's not hard to guess which is more likely to end up on the playlist.
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Sat May 26, 2007 7:02 am

Madman, sadly, missed out the most pertinent paradoxes in LE's stated tastes.

1) Elfen Lied has minderjährigen mädchen

and

2) The character designs of Code Geass are by CLAMP

Which just goes to show how inadequately researched and weighted by spuriously unimportant rhetoric his argument is.

8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Phoenix » Sat May 26, 2007 10:32 am

I must say that I like shows with high body counts too. But the point is the difference between a good people murdering anime and a bad one.

In this case, both of Soukou no Strain and Tokyo Majin are full of massacre.

Tokyo Majin is just killing random walk-ons meaninglessly, just a very common way to make audiences feel like it is the end of the world, full stop, nothing else. However, Soukou no Strain is different. It is killing actual important characters who were familiar to audiences. I did feel sad when those people died, but who care about those very minor roles' death in Tokyo Majin, anyways?

well, people gave their life as a sacrifice for love and country or people died because they got attact by monsters. Which story is better to watch, isn't that clear?
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Pirate Man » Sat May 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Phoenix wrote:I must say that I like shows with high body counts too. But the point is the difference between a good people murdering anime and a bad one.

In this case, both of Soukou no Strain and Tokyo Majin are full of massacre.

Tokyo Majin is just killing random walk-ons meaninglessly, just a very common way to make audiences feel like it is the end of the world, full stop, nothing else. However, Soukou no Strain is different. It is killing actual important characters who were familiar to audiences. I did feel sad when those people died, but who care about those very minor roles' death in Tokyo Majin, anyways?

well, people gave their life as a sacrifice for love and country or people died because they got attact by monsters. Which story is better to watch, isn't that clear?

Well I can say from your statement you havent played kung-fu master in the arcades or seen any action movies/animes havent you?
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Atory » Sat May 26, 2007 2:22 pm

I find the shows where innocent people die more realistic as death isn't convenient enough in reality to always target people with some significance to a plot line. I find it really irritating when there has been so much work put into creating a story behind a character and then it is cut short because the people in charge need a character to die and said character just happens to be the most convenient.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Phoenix » Sat May 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Pirate Man wrote:

Well I can say from your statement you havent played kung-fu master in the arcades or seen any action movies/animes havent you?

I had never been a fan of action shows, but at least I had seen Black Lagoon in AJAS and enjoyed it (if you do think Black Lagoon is an action show...)
Then so what? The thing that keep people enjoy an anime shouldn't be good story plot rather than good action visual work?

Atory wrote:

I find the shows where innocent people die more realistic as death isn't convenient enough in reality to always target people with some significance to a plot line. I find it really irritating when there has been so much work put into creating a story behind a character and then it is cut short because the people in charge need a character to die and said character just happens to be the most convenient.

Well, didn't you like Higurashi which all the main characters die after four episode?
あなたが空を行くなら
わたしは翼になりたい
Phoenix

by Pirate Man » Sat May 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Pirate Man wrote:

I had never been a fan of action shows, but at least I had seen Black Lagoon in AJAS and enjoyed it (if you do think Black Lagoon is an action show...)
Then so what? The thing that keep people enjoy an anime shouldn't be good story plot rather than good action visual work?

but your descripition here..

Tokyo Majin is just killing random walk-ons meaninglessly

Exactly describes what happens in the first epsiode of Black Lagoon (your questioning is this an action anime? :wallbash: ), they knocked off meaningless people. You can subject to about 1000 other animes which does the same thing, however a good "story plot" is different arguement altogether.
Basing a series on one "introductory" epsiode is a no-no, you have to watch at least a couple to see if its going anywhere take higurashi for plain example.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Atory » Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Phoenix wrote:Then so what? The thing that keep people enjoy an anime shouldn't be good story plot rather than good action visual work?

There should be a balance of both. If something has a lot of action but nothing behind it, it becomes boring and if something has a lot of story but no action it also becomes boring.

Phoenix wrote:Well, didn't you like Higurashi which all the main characters die after four episode?

Actually, I wasn't too fond of the series.

As for the animation in Tokyo Maijin, I have to say with my background as a Multimedia student and studying animation it is no where near poor. It seems to be at a faster frame rate than the standard and that can cause people who are not used to it to get sore eyes, etc. The file format that is being shown at AJAS is of low quality though. I suspect the DVD releases will be a lot clearer.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Ryan White » Sun May 27, 2007 2:41 am

Atory wrote:I find the shows where innocent people die more realistic as death isn't convenient enough in reality to always target people with some significance to a plot line. I find it really irritating when there has been so much work put into creating a story behind a character and then it is cut short because the people in charge need a character to die and said character just happens to be the most convenient.

You are absolutely going to hate Soukou no Strain then, a large percentage of characters die right after their introductions, hell they should learn to dress these people in red shirts already.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Sun May 27, 2007 3:52 am

Phoenix wrote:Well, didn't you like Higurashi which all the main characters die after four episode?

They died because each plot arc always leads them to dying. It is inevitable because nobody knows what is really going on, not until the world reboots start to accumulate and they have flashbacks to what they did wrong, previously. Though most of that will happen in the second series. Hopefully. Regardless, you get about a full season's worth of character development amongst the regular worm-feeding.

Characters in Soukou no Strain die after what amounts to 1-2 episodes worth of development, though many last longer. It certainly helps to not be a potential romantic interest of the main character.

Having not watched any of Tokyo Majin for more than a few glances an episode, I can't comment on how good or bad the show is, overall. And episode 14 isn't the last....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Sun May 27, 2007 11:01 am

Isn't episode 14 the last of the first season? There is a second season right?

That's another similarity to Black Lagoon (which we're waiting on the 3rd season for).
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Sun May 27, 2007 7:44 pm

Mappy wrote:Madman, sadly, missed out the most pertinent paradoxes in LE's stated tastes.

1) Elfen Lied has minderjährigen mädchen

and

2) The character designs of Code Geass are by CLAMP

Which just goes to show how inadequately researched and weighted by spuriously unimportant rhetoric his argument is.

8)

I watched Elfen Lied for the well drawn graphics, superb soundtrack, superior production values, engaging story, great character depth and of course the body count. I preferred seeing everyone clothed frankly.

So it ain't a paradox.

Assumption is the mother of all f-ups.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon May 28, 2007 6:21 am

That's overstating the Elfen Lied anime, I think. Most of its following derived from the fact that cute girls were walking around, killing people in an entirely casual manner, with hints of multiple personality disorders, genocidal intent and nihilistic misanthropy thrown in.

Apart from that there were quite large deficits when it came to the characters and plot. The most obvious being that everyone had the memories of fish and that there was an apparent disconnection by the world with the world in general. "Oh dear, a pink-haired girl with horns has ripped the heads off my children. I wonder what's on tv tonight."
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon May 28, 2007 11:20 am

Mappy wrote:That's overstating the Elfen Lied anime, I think. Most of its following derived from the fact that cute girls were walking around, killing people in an entirely casual manner, with hints of multiple personality disorders, genocidal intent and nihilistic misanthropy thrown in.

Apart from that there were quite large deficits when it came to the characters and plot. The most obvious being that everyone had the memories of fish and that there was an apparent disconnection by the world with the world in general. "Oh dear, a pink-haired girl with horns has ripped the heads off my children. I wonder what's on tv tonight."

But that's essentially all Hirugashi is too except the girls are even younger and there's a reset timer every few episodes. I find that series overstated myself.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Ryan White » Mon May 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Last Exile wrote:
But that's essentially all Hirugashi is too except the girls are even younger and there's a reset timer every few episodes. I find that series overstated myself.

Considering how many AJAS sessions you've attended over the past year, how much Higurashi have you actually watched? Elfin Lied was B.A.D. and no amount of defense is going to change this fact. Stop living in the past or your just going to make more wars that shouldn't be mentioned.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Tue May 29, 2007 6:08 am

Last Exile wrote:But that's essentially all Hirugashi is too except the girls are even younger and there's a reset timer every few episodes. I find that series overstated myself.

Higurashi has subtext. Elfen Lied doesn't. They never hid the reasons why the Diclonius girls suddenly would start killing people: they did that because they were a new species that was inherently mentally unstable in an environment that encouraged them to be. You never really understood why the girls in Higurashi (and Keiichi, it must be said) suddenly decided to start killing those around them. Indeed, most of what you see in Higurashi is unreliable evidence in that anyone was actually killing (or intent on killing) anyone at all, as most events were down to paranoid psychosis on the part of the current narrative lead....

Also, Higurashi lacks pink-haired girls with horns. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man