Forum Administrators and Moderators

Playlist - 13th September 2011 - 90'S NIGHT PART 2

by Dhumahn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm

AJAS NOT QUITE SO RETRO EVENT NIGHT #7 - 90s Night PART 2 - 1995-1999

Playlist may contain traces of nuts.

BETTERMAN

Aired: 2nd April to 1st October 1999

Length: 26 Episodes

AD 2006, Mankind encounters a mysterious Phenomenon called "Algernon". Nothing is known about Algernon, all people involved with Algernon are dead. One day, the mysterious phenomenon Algernon happened at an underground Amusement park where our hero Keita met our heroine Hinoki, driving "Kakuseijin". Keita and Hinoki encounter a lot of mysteries and monsters. What is "Algernon"? And what is "Better man"? Why does Better man help when Hinoki and Keita are in danger? The never ending nightmare has started.

REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA

Aired: 2nd April to 24th December 1997

Length: 39 Episodes

Tenjou Utena's parents died when she was a little girl. At that time, a prince appeared to her and gave her a signet ring with a rose crest. He told Utena to keep the ring and promised that they would meet again someday. Utena was so impressed by him that she decided to become a prince herself! Utena is all grown up now. She studies at the Ootori Academy and wears her own version of the boys' uniform. She still looks forward to finding her prince, but in the meantime, it's up to Utena to save damsels in distress and cross swords with Ootori Academy's top duellists. When Utena unwittingly wins the "Rose Bride" in one such duel, she finds herself in the middle of something else... something that just may lead her to her prince.

THE VISION OF ESCAFLOWNE

Aired: 2nd April to 24th September 1996

Hitomi Kanzaki is a typical high school girl, with typical problems, but when a vision of a young man battling a dragon becomes a reality, her life changes forever. Drawn into a strange vortex with the swordsman, Van, Hitomi is thrust into the strange world of Gaea. Van must learn to master the suit of armor, Escaflowne, before he and Hitomi are crushed by the ambitions of the Empire of Zaibach. Van and Hitomi will encounter both allies and enemies in an effort to unlock the secrets within Escaflowne, and Hitomi's heart, stirred by love and adventure, will, at times ache with sorrow. But why was she sent to this world? Her journey has just begun!

KODOMO NO OMOCHA

Aired: 5th April 1996 to 27th March 1998

Length: 102 Episodes

Kurata Sana is a frenetic eleven-year-old child actress with an extremely overprotective agent, a mother who is an eccentric award-winning author, and a burning desire to do well in school. However, as much as she wants to be a good student, the antics of the boys in her class make learning impossible, according to Sana anyway. And in her eyes, Hayama Akito is the worst offender of them all. A junior-high war of the sexes ensues, and Sana eventually realizes through the chaos that Hayama may not be the "devil boy" she's made him up to be.

SLAYERS

Aired: 7th April 1995 to 6th April 2009

Length: 104 Episodes

It is a world of fantasy, where magic reigns and monsters lurk, then there's Lina Inverse! A cute, fireball-throwing sorceress who steals from the wicked and gives to herself! Along with Gourry, a handsome but not-so-smart swordsman, Lina faces the uncanny as she seeks fame and fortune. Meanwhile Zelgadis, a powerful soldier pursues Lina in an attempt to recover a magical item that can bring about the end of the world.

SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN

Aired: 7th July to 29th Spetember 1998

LengthL 13 Episodes

The first episode opens with the mysterious suicide of a high-school girl, Chisa Yomoda. Chisa-chan was a classmate of Lain Iwakura, a quiet, 14-year-old high-school girl. One of the other girls in the class has been receiving e-mail messages from Chisa-chan, and Lain discovers she also has mail from Chisa-chan. In the mail she explains to Lain that she just abandoned her flesh. She assures Lain that she still is alive in the 'wired' world. After getting a new 'navi' and adding a 'psyche' circuit, Lain spends more and more time in the wired. It seems that Lain has at least 2 personalities, and Lain's first personality is changing even now. Who is Lain? Who are the 'knights'? Can the wired influence the real world with a prophecy? Is the real world nothing but a hologram of the information in the wired?

COWBOY BEBOP

Aired: 3rd April 1998 to 24th April 1999

The year is 2071 AD. With the systematic collapse of the old nation-states, a mixed jumble of races and peoples were driven out of their terrestrial Eden and spread to the stars, taking with them the now confused concepts of justice, freedom, violence, and love. New rules were established, and a new generation of bounty hunters came into being. People referred to these bounty hunters as "cowboys".

Meet Spike Spiegel and Jet Black, a drifter and a retired cyborg cop who have started a bounty hunting partnership. In the converted ship The Bebop, Spike and Jet search the galaxy for criminals with bounties on their heads. They meet a lot of interesting characters, including the unusually intelligent dog Ein, the bizarre hacker child prodigy Ed, and the voluptuous and vexing femme fatale, Faye Valentine.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 13th September 2011 - 90'S NIGHT PART 2

by Last Exile » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Could really make an all day marathon for 95-99. There's that much worth watching from those five years. But three hours is enough.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by White Demon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Dhumahn wrote:Playlist may contain traces of nuts.

Nah, they're in the audience.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by Dhumahn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm

are they salted nuts?
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

by GarryGod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm

aww man where dem robots at?
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by kiddtic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Bowt time I watched Escaflowne and Lain. I second Garrys' observation, where are the robots?
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Bazza » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:17 pm

Dare you to play Cowboy Bepop dubbed.

Also, the plot for Utena seems much more interesting than I'd ever given the show credit for; having not paid it any attention ever.

Also, first post in like 2 years because I finally got around to remembering how to log in.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by GarryGod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Bazza wrote:Dare you to play Cowboy Bepop dubbed.

Also, the plot for Utena seems much more interesting than I'd ever given the show credit for; having not paid it any attention ever.

Also, first post in like 2 years because I finally got around to remembering how to log in.

ha! so funny man...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm

GarryGod wrote:aww man where dem robots at?

In Betterman and Escaflowne.

Cheers.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:18 pm

meh flowne steam robots don't count :P
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 am

>He thinks Escaflowne's Guymelefs run on steam.
>I think greentexting on a forum is a good idea.

I seriously hope I don't do this. Again.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 am

> implying I've watch it?
> nope it doesn't hide anything...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Mappy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:18 pm

GarryGod wrote:> implying I've watch it?

>Implying you have taste, then.
>Implying implications.
>Oh b.ugger, I've done it again.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 pm

If we're imitating 4chan can I just start a massive transplant of whatever happens to be lurking in /d/ at this moment in time?

:3

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:46 am

Yeah, and it'd probably be something like 2 years before you can post again if you do that.

8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:48 pm

AVCon at OzAsia will hopefully be attracting some newcomers to AJAS over the next few meetings. Responses from the History of Anime (OzAsia remix) panel (which drew more people in than last time and also had more attend than Angel Beats and Summer Wars! ^^), casual chats and inquiries were far more positive this time.

So be accomodating to them and make them feel welcome. I.e. Keep the internets to the internets. Don't bring that behaviour to meetings.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by White Demon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Dhumahn wrote:are they salted nuts?

assalted, maybe...
(or is that insalted... i can't remember which...)
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by Mappy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Looks like every version of Kodomo no Omocha I can get my hands on (be it dvd, d/l or whatever) is borked. Time to call in the back up shows....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man