Rainbow 9
Shion No Ou 22 (final)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 1st February 2011

by White Demon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Dhumahn wrote:Shion No Ou

Could everyone in the front few rows please SHUT THE ficken UP in the future. The continuos chattering and laughter was NOT appreciated (and I noticed those manning the front desk were doing this too, you're not innocent of this either).

Just because you're not interested in what is playing does not mean that no-one is interested. Some of us actually do enjoy watching and are interested in what is showing.

I utterly detest Astro Fighter, but I don't start chattering and carrying on, I leave the room or do something else quietly by myself. And I would expect others to do the same for shows they have no interest in.

Next time, keep it down or leave the room.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by Dhumahn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Hmm, I do remember telling people to shush up at one point, was about when Sunred was on. As for the comments being made behind the desk, most of it WAS to do with the playlist (I actually hadn't realised that the Princess Jellyfish subs were playing incorrectly on the screen for starters......damn boxed letters...).
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Normally you're sounding people out who are out of turn when you say that, White Demon.

Frankly this is more of a case of a difference of opinion.

It was insanely funny and the majority of people present tonight found it to be so. It was a very camp moment amongst a very melodramatic episode that was laying it on VERY THICK. We're also talking about a night with a very camp final episode of Occult Gakuin, yet another camp episode of LOL Heroes, a genuinely hilarious episode (for most people) of Squid Girl and a very scarring episode of Rainbow (some people were ready to gouge their eyes out and were vocal about it). The vibe in the room had been building up all night and had commotion in it several times.

People are in the room because these are the episodes we are interested in. Generally happens at AJAS when series come to a close, regardless of how the poll went. Shion didn't do well in the poll but it's still being played through to the end.

There are moments that will send the audience into stitches beyond the norm. Need I mention Soukou no Strain Episode 7 and the commotion that caused? Gantz 2nd season Episode 15? Episode 7 of Elfen Lied? Episode 1 of Moyashimon? Garden of Sinners 3rd movie, opening moments (not an appropriate one)? Several episodes of Detroit Metal City? I could go on.

Sorry you feel this way, White Demon. I've felt that way a few times about other series. But what I've come to accept is AJAS is a very mixed spread of opinions, ages, values and maturity. And if they all happen to coincide vocally once in a blue moon, so be it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 am

Last Exile wrote:Shion didn't do well in the poll but it's still being played through to the end.

Just to add on this one, the scores that I got for Shion were between 9 and 1, with the rest of them evenly spread out.....when you get situations like this, the final score is ALWAYS going to turn out pretty average...mathematical law always wins...

Last Exile wrote:But what I've come to accept is AJAS is a very mixed spread of opinions, ages, values and maturity. And if they all happen to coincide vocally once in a blue moon, so be it.

And that is why I've always had to make the playlist so varied, instead of just one or two genres....especially with the limited variety there is these days...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:24 am

I apologise if I made a bit of noise during Shion no Ou. The series tends to swerve wildly between pathos and bathos and I've never been the quietest when shows do that, so I'll try to contain myself for the final episode next week.

But really, this was the "YES, IT WAS MEEEEEE" episode. And I remember chuckling my way through it when I watched it a couple of years ago, so....

As for genres.... We really need a mecha show on the playlist. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, the current tv mecha series is SRW The Inspector. I don't know how people feel about that one.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Hans Stockmann » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:02 am

The Inspector's a jumbled mess based on a game that was even more so. My raging hardon for Masami Obari's unique brand of bad means that I can't help but enjoy it, but it's certainly not playlist material.

Taking a quick look through the robot-related shows of the last few years that aren't licensed by Madman/Siren and aren't Dragonaut: The Resonance, these are our options without busting out something like MSG, Dougram, VOTOMS or GaoGaiGar:

- Dancouga Nova: It's one of my guilty pleasures with its exceedingly bad jokes and competent women. The closest to watchable an Obari show's ever gotten.
- SD Gundam Sangokuden: Nobody knows or cares about Romance of the Three Kingdoms to appreciate it. Plus SD Gundam Force's second season was more entertainingly bad.
- Koutetsushin Jeeg: Has some enjoyable action, is only thirteen episodes and isn't particularly complex without being dull. Probably Jun Kawagoe's best work, come to think of it. (Yes, Mazinkaiser SKL is so bad that not even I like it.)
- Nanoha StrikerS: It totally counts. Shame it takes half a season to get interesting.
- Sora o Kakeru Shoujo: All its nifty world-building and characters go to waste because the Mai-Hime team cannot write a plot for peanuts. Even if its quirkiness gets through the vote, the ending leaves you rather miffed. Not going to recommend.
- SRW OG: Divine Wars: If you're really desperate enough to play The Inspector, you can subject everyone to the first attempt at adapting an Original Generation game. In all its bad CG and off-model drawings glory.
- Gaiking: The Legend of Daiku Maryu: You know, this show had enough enthusiasm, compelling villains and TTGL staff to possibly make it through the poll. Biggest problem is, of course, TV-Nihon subs.
- Tetsujin-28go (2004): Because you can never have enough shows that continually punch you in the gut. I'm all for it dudes.
- Diebuster: Did we ever play it? If not, you always could. After Gunbuster of course.

And... that's really about it. We've already played Macross Frontier and the hilarity that is Code Geass, so our options are limited to those if you want to keep it within the last decade. Star Driver is not an option because it's disappointing and dull.

If we're willing to play older things, then our options increase to:
- Zambot 3: Because I'm sure Barron will laugh once the massacres begin.
- Daitarn 3: Because it's Roger Moore with a big-ass robot being a pimp and using the power of the Sun. We should totally play this.
- Space Runaway Ideon: Well, it's a sci-fi show about first contact. Stop calling it a mecha show, internet.
- Fang of the Sun Dougram: Dem politics and increasingly gritty ground and squad-based combat scenes, man. Biggest issue this'd have is its length, really. You might as well start trying LoGH again if you're going to play Dougram.
- Armored Trooper VOTOMS and/or the various OVAs that have cropped up over the years: Certainly doable if people have a bit of patience.
- Mobile Suit Gundam: If you're going to play Unicorn, people need context, yo. Plus they need salt. You can die if you don't get enough salt.
- Taiyou no Yuusha Fighbird: Subs finished recently, but GaoGaiGar'd be more popular. Figh Bird's one of the weaker entries in the franchise after all.

What we should really play though is Heartcatch Pretty Cure. I'm willing to say that's the best show of 2010, and one of the best executed entries in a genre in years.
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by White Demon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Exile: I read what you wrote, and agree with quite a bit of it, bit it's getting beyond the point with Shion No Ou.

It is quite obvious some people have little interest in the series, some of them being vocal about it (Barron in particular). And the chatter has continued on at times while that episode was playing most weeks, to which I have put up with and to some point tried to ignore. But the laughing last night was just too much.

I had no problem with what happened the rest of the night, after all, as you said, Occfult Academy was very OTT at the end (got serious Gurren Lagann vibes from it) and of course Squid Girl is very funny, got no problems with people laughing their heads off at that one (and the occasional comment that may come out of it). Even the comments during Rainbow that I heard I didn't worry too much about, after all it is a very graphic show and I can quite understand if some people have certain issues with it (but then again, if that is so, why do they continue to watch? But that's a different matter I don't want to go into here).

But during Shion No OU it just went too far.

I don't really care what you think about something playing, just don't carry on about it. I thought that's what these forums (and before 6pm on Tuesday) are for.
Just remember when you are watching that others are trying to enjoy what is playing and some things can really disturb (or even wreck) their concentration.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by GarryGod » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 pm

just think about it greg gonna put on tamayura OVA soon...
and yeah i did walk out of shion no ou for a while cause yeah i realize that show is unbelievably effed up...
if theres anything i really found irritating it was those subs for underwater compared to FFFpeeps which i watched ika musume with...
the kid calling her "hey squid girlie" and "squidalicious" and such and such really terribly subbing...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Hans Stockmann » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

Writing in actual, readable english that anyone can grasp without having five years' experience of lazy fansubbing in their face is a bad thing now?

The dialogue of the children is blutig annoying in jap. The translation maintains that.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann

by GarryGod » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:00 pm

me no likey the subs...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by kiddtic » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I watched the "normal" subs for Squid girl. I.e without the squidizms and as you obviously know by now I love Squid girl. The Subs used at AJAS don't bother me at all because they offer a different perspective on the show.
kiddtic
of Kidd's Anime Blog

by Pirate Man » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am

Hans Stockmann wrote:
- Gaiking: The Legend of Daiku Maryu: You know, this show had enough enthusiasm, compelling villains and TTGL staff to possibly make it through the poll. Biggest problem is, of course, TV-Nihon subs.

>> Gaiking: The Legend of Daiku Maryu:
>> Gaiking

GAGAGAGAGAI KING

Why not play Transformers: Car Robot

CAR ROBOTO CAR ROBOTO CAR ROBTO CYBARTRON!!!!
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Pirate Man » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:03 am

GarryGod wrote:me no likey the subs...

That's the reason FFFFeeeps said " NO the verdammt jokes are zurückgeblieben" keep in mind that the Japanese language is not as diverse as the English Language
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Hans Stockmann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:02 am

Pirate Man wrote:
GAGAGAGAGAI KING

What the devil is that supposed to be? It's not the opening to the remake, and it's absolutely nothing like the original's.

Because if we're going to play a Transformers, it's damn well going to be Victory.
Hans Stockmann

by Mappy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 am

Last Exile wrote:Shion didn't do well in the poll but it's still being played through to the end.

Just thought I should point out:
Dhumahn wrote:35. Shion No Ou 5.725
25. Shin Mazinger 6.300

Regardless of what you think of it, if this isn't a reason to bring Shin Mazinger back, I don't know what is....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Dhumahn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Mappy wrote:
25. Shin Mazinger 6.300

Regardless of what you think of it, if this isn't a reason to bring Shin Mazinger back, I don't know what is....

Well, only 7 people voted for Shin, and the votes, unlike Shion which were spread out, were polarized between 2 and 10, with a single 4 making the difference...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Hans Stockmann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Mappy wrote:

Just thought I should point out:
25. Shin Mazinger 6.300

What's more interesting is how there were actually a fair few new people on the night of Shin Mazinger's vote who never attended any meetings before or after. A few of them even left the room after the next show.

But I digress. We should just play Gakeen.
Hans Stockmann

by Pirate Man » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Hans Stockmann wrote:
Hans Stockmann wrote:
GAGAGAGAGAI KING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqE29RIdpm0

Sorry had it wrong

GAI GAI GAI DAIKU MARU GAIKING

Hans Stockmann wrote:

Because if we're going to play a Transformers, it's damn well going to be Victory.

But Car Robots had the best intro.
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by Hans Stockmann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Victory had the best ending and best song to ever emerge from the industry though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfqopqM64ts
Hans Stockmann