AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Playlist - 10th March 2009

by Dhumahn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:14 pm

First off, well done everybody, we had 52 people in the room at one stage *claps*

Well, here's another full playlist.......except what we're actually playing is not going to be posted here this week.

However, I will give out a few clues:

- There are 9 items on the playlist this week
- Chaos Head IS starting this week
- The shows that played on March 3 ARE on the playlist (however I'm not saying in which order)
- There will be people who WILL want to kill me (or maybe stuff me into a seal and ferment me for awhile....man, that was stomach-curdling...)

...so, come along and hopefully enjoy yourselves :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 10th March 2009

by Last Exile » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah, blutig good turnout! Hopefully we can maintain 40+ throughout the year.

The hell you're getting killed, Greg. Not if the two Ryans have anything to say about it. :wink:

Michiko is flocking awesome. ^^ While Moyashimon wasn't my style of humour, I did think it had good points and wouldn't knock anyone for liking it. The real question is though, who suffered the worst from the seal joke? :lol:

Turnout for the HJs after-event was quite more than usual too. Felt somewhat more social too. Good meeting. :respect:

Only thing I'd say is some behavioural stuff needs to be reinforced. Lot of door slamming and seat jumping happened during the session, along a bit of running. Better discourage that, I'd hate to see a repeat of what happened between Kenny and Clint. :shock: I'm sure White could dish out worse, but he did get his message across fairly well to a certain someone tonight. :lol: There was still a bit of too audible chat. Better than what it was in February, but would still be worth mentioning.

Hopefully we can get hold of some more atendees at Magill and Mawson Lakes.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by xandox » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Dhumahn wrote:[i]There will be people who WILL want to kill me (or maybe stuff me into a seal and ferment me for awhile....man, that was stomach-curdling...)

Hmmmm... by process of deduction I have narrowed the desire to kill due to perhaps the removal of a certain show...

I'm sure there will be people able to assist those that still want their fix from it though...

To be honest, I don't care either way. Just as long as what's taking it's place is better.
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by Last Exile » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 am

Well, it did finish 40th in the vote and had a damn low average score. I'm sure there's some people that like it, it's their right to. But there's plenty that don't. If they need the full serve, it can be obtained.

That's if it was the unfortunate victim. It would be the first culling since Gundam 00.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Last Exile wrote:While Moyashimon wasn't my style of humour, I did think it had good points and wouldn't knock anyone for liking it. The real question is though, who suffered the worst from the seal joke? :lol:

I'm not sure, although White gave it a very good shot :D

Mind you, the seal joke isn't the only bizzare thing going on....one may need to pay close attention to what is happening throughout the course of this show... :wink:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by khajiit » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 pm

The thing I find amusing about last nights playlist was the fact I heard so much carry on about making sure that the playlist contained shows thats n00bs would enjoy.... of the new shows though, one contained about 15 minutes worth of child abuse and the other well, no comment >_> May have well continued the playlist as is, it probably would have been more noob friendly IMHO. Certainly would have been lighter hearted at least.Though by about half way through the night I wasn't in much of a good mood after some baka's decision about a certain competition anyways (and yes I have every damn right to be angry) /khaaaan

But on the upside it looked like a good turnout, have some interesting new personalities to say the least ^^

Now to get my Fist of the North Star cosplay ready for next week when we find out what's been cut.... :ph34r:
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by Mappy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 pm

I don't know where "n00b friendly" really comes into the equation. At least, not from me. I don't give a flying toss whether shows are "n00b friendly", because AJAS has never been about playing mainstream. 8)

And there are always horrors we are hiding from you. Oh believe me, I've spent many years tormenting n00bs with things not designed for human eyes to gaze upon with the AJAS schedule. The other oldies on this forum will probably name those horrors for you. 8)

"Best of what's unplayed and available" was a more hopeful category. In two years time, Michiko to Hatchin will be completely released on dvd by Madman and aired on either Cartoon Network or ABC2. This will be a given. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:39 pm

"n00b friendly" in a sense that the shows don't contain exclusive cultural context?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Nothing wrong with a bit of cultural context....might make the audience just that little bit more intelligent...... 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Mappy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Unless they're confused over Oryzaes and Fructivorans. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:16 pm

Mappy wrote:I don't know where "n00b friendly" really comes into the equation. At least, not from me. I don't give a flying toss whether shows are "n00b friendly", because AJAS has never been about playing mainstream. 8)

And there are always horrors we are hiding from you. Oh believe me, I've spent many years tormenting n00bs with things not designed for human eyes to gaze upon with the AJAS schedule. The other oldies on this forum will probably name those horrors for you. 8)

Well that is what I thought too... I didn't come to ajas to watch the same old crap, I want my horizons to be expanded. And personally, I think if you aren't open to japanese culter, why on god's good green earth are you at an anime club for? So therefore no need to choose non culturally-exclusive shows 8D Heck, I perfectly enjoyed excel saga without knowing all that much about the nitty gritty of japanese culture... indeed I actually learned quite a few things from it (particularly the manga)

As for the mystic horrors in the ajas vaults, bring those eldritch abominations forth, I say. I sure as hell ain't gonna care. *Dons a necromancer robe and begins the ceremony* Iiah, iiah cthulu fortagen... :lol:
khajiit

by Atory » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 pm

khajiit wrote:I didn't come to ajas to watch the same old crap.

Just what do you mean by this? I don't think any of the shows we play could possibly be what you have seen before unless you watch everything straight out of Japan.

Note my question mark at the end of my previous post. Most of the shows I watch never make it to the playlist because someone, not sure who, keeps all the really Japanese context stuff off. I like the feudal era shows and such, especially ones with Japanese mythos.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Mappy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Yes, I'd like to see Mouryou no Hako on the playlist, too. 8)

I like feudal era shows, meself. But I can see why we haven't played too many of them in recent years.... They're pretty variable in quality, even within the shows, themselves.

Then again, we played Higurashi.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Atory wrote:
khajiit wrote:I didn't come to ajas to watch the same old crap.

Just what do you mean by this? I don't think any of the shows we play could possibly be what you have seen before unless you watch everything straight out of Japan.

Note my question mark at the end of my previous comment. Most of the shows I watch never make it to the playlist because someone, not sure who, keeps all the really Japanese context stuff off. I like the feudal era shows and such, especially ones with Japanese mythos.

Lol, perhaps badly worded, atory. Though, trust me the moment my japanese skills are workable I *will* be watching direct from japan hehe =P But what I was getting at is the fact noobs usually watch shows like NGE or cowboy bebop... or pokemon to initiate them. Obviously we're not going to play that... so anything else is going to be alien to the newbs regardless. So why are certain members flustering over making sure the newbies aren't scared off when anything we''re going to play is going to be strange and new anyways...

Uh, I dunno, take from it what you will B3

Oh and *shrugs* why not have a fuedal era one playing? So long as it was mind numbingly bad, it'd be a nice change from the rest of the shows xD
khajiit

by Atory » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:35 am

A lot of the shows I watch are at a slower pace and usually entail a unique art style. Depends on what you consider to be mind numbingly bad. Personally I find the moe shows to be mind numbing as they don't actually require the viewer to use their mind.

How does Natsume Yuujinchou eventually making it to the playlist sound? Along with Mouryou no Hako on OVA nights?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:16 am

Because not every newbie is used to traps, yuri, moeblobs and other things worthy of Interpol? (I happen to like yuri but I wouldn't show it to a newbie. Except for maybe Jeremy Clarkson since he is a known passionate advocate for lesbians) The responses I heard to Michiko no Hatchin were rather positive. If anything, the playlist gained a lot more variety from that and Moyashimon coming on. Same old crap? Just what were they similar to? Michiko no Hatchin won the 2008 poll. Of course it's going on the playlist...Moyashimon is Mappy's and Atory's addition to the list. While I'm not into it, I can understand why they like it. Humour is subjective.

Chaos Head is on for the 10th. It's Higurashi meets Welcome to the NHK. Bound to be a mind-trip.

You mentioned Cowboy Bebop - you do realise Michiko no Hatchin has Shinichiro Wanatabe as being one of the brains trust behind it and the music director for it? He directed Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

From what I've heard, Nodame Cantabile Paris-Hen and Higashi no Eden are two likely things to replace series (Moyashimon and 20 Faces respectively). If Shangri-La turns out to be good, I'd love to see that replace Bounen no Xamdou. (Range Murata has always been win so far. GONZO had better not stuff this up!!!!) And for something with action, service, stellar animation and gore, hopefully Queen's Blade will be good enough to show considering its fandom.

I've always had a private wish that we could play Mushishi. It is so different and such a high quality series, albeit rustic and episodic. Mappy and I both have lots of time and passion for it. ^^ Did that ever get licensed here? And as for it maybe being too slow/mature to be appreciated, I think what happened with Kurenai and Kamichu suggests that kind of series is actually appreciated. I notice Atory mentioned Natsume Yuujinchou. If we're considering that, surely we could play Mushishi if Madman haven't picked it up? I'd think it'd be a travesty if AJAS never saw Mushishi. I've yet to see a community online that has nothing but praise for it. However, Natsume Yuujinchou does interest me a bit since Brains Base did that one and they did Kamichu, Kurenai and Baccano.

Mouryou no Hako - a more serious version of the murderous style of Higurashi? Interests me a bit. But Garden of Sinners #4 and #5 had better appear soon on OVA nights, as well as Sky Crawlers. They're mandatory. I get the feeling Atory may want Mouryou no Hako on so we can see murder done CLAMP style. :lol:

As for the judgings....it's Barron. What did you expect? To win you had to appeal to Barron. Opinion is subjective to individual tastes, biases, experiences and beliefs. If you had a problem with that, I'd hate to see how you'd have reacted to some of the AvCon cosplaying award decisions over the last few years, which have been more favourable to shock value rather than costume quality and passion befitting the character.

As for what never should be played...don't go there...if it scarred Mappy, you'll probably end up in an obscure ward of the RAH sucking through a straw for the rest of your days. :lol: One very good thing about Mappy is he's a very effective filter. He knows what should never be seen by AJAS and other anime fans in this state. He is sometimes even more of a harsher critic than I am, but that comes with his decades of anime watching and knowing the good and the bad. You may not agree with everything he says, but he backs his opinions up and is able to spot rehash from a mile away. A conversation with Mappy is always an epic journey that results in +Intelligence points. :lol:

Personally I find the moe shows to be mind numbing as they don't actually require the viewer to use their mind.

Seconded. Personally, I like to be challenged. The series in my top 10 are the ones that surprised me the most and gave me a sense of fulfillment and pleasure that is very, very rare.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 am

Truthfully the type of shows I really love are... I find it hard to really explain the constant factor between them ._. But take Gunslinger Girl for example: First the art is incredible and smoothly animated, the fight choreography is amazing and the violence is realistic. There action is offset by slice of life moments that let you get to know the characters better and develop an emotional bond with them. It also poses a strong philosophical question in relation to the agency's use of the girls, and the moral ambiguity of their situation (which I still have not settled on an answer for myself yet) . Brutal yet elegant and philosophical shows are my cup of tea as far as serious anime goes :respect: Other examples being Elfen Lied, Kite (cut version) and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

On the other hand, I like my comedies to be cute, with somewhat intellegent jokes, preferably have at least one cute girl to perv at, but at the same time be somewhat grounded in reality. Examples being the likes of FMP? Fumoffu, Excel Saga, Azumanga Daioh, Mariaholic and Lucky Star.

Then you just get random shows that grab my attention like candy boy, Mezzo Forte, Afro Samurai, Gurren Lagaan and soul eater ;)

Uuuh so that's a useless bit of triva for all ya'll anyways. :ph34r: I think at the moment we're really missing the first catagory from the playlist, a nice MA rated seinen show xD And no, whilst it's a good show, xamdu is nowhere near what im talking about ;)

EDIT: Ughhh tiiired, just noticed you posted before me Last Exile, but I've already written all this and I dont want to spend the next 20 mins retyping my reply xD I shall read and reply to you tomorrow ^^:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:42 am

I did mention Queen's Blade...women fighting to the death in mortal combat for the right to be queen?

It almost sounds like a good way to prune out the idiocy in the political systems, come to think of it. :lol: But I'm sure England would find a way to turn that into an Orwellian nightmare too. Not to mention America making it glorified.

Frankly, it doesn't factor into how I feel about a series I liked whether it was popular amongst others at AJAS/online or not. Mappy and Atory are of similar thought. To a degree it's nice to be part of the majority, but at the expense of compromising one's one ideals, tastes and beliefs? I don't think so. Each to their own. But there is merit within compromise and providing something that will cater to as many people as possible. That's what we try to do at AJAS. Problem is, the industry doesn't always give enough to do that. -_- The current season is not good...The April crop is what we're hanging out hopes on for the next wave of playlist material. As Mappy said, the industry needs to actually try and at least match the bar that Code Geass set. If the rest of the decade ends up being a trough because they couldn't be flocked trying to reach Code Geass's level, that would be pretty pathetic.

And for the record, I still haven't found a common thread/theme in my Top 10 and I doubt I ever will. -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:47 am

khajiit wrote:But take Gunslinger Girl for example: First the art is incredible and smoothly animated, the fight choreography is amazing and the violence is realistic.

Then Il Teatrino was made, and effectively guaranteed there will never be any more Gunslinger Girl anime made. Indeed, the meme is that there was no more made after the first season.
Last Exile wrote:And for the record, I still haven't found a common thread/theme in my Top 10 and I doubt I ever will.

Common threads can always be found, though. Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh, Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, The Vision of Escaflowne, Trigun, Zettai Shonen, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Paranoia Agent and Noein, being my top ten, doesn't immediately look like a collection of shows with common themes, but, stylistically.... Bebop/Trigun, Haibane/Mushishi, Escaflowne/Noein....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 am

I just noticed Scott's new avatar gives off a very 18+ vibe. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Madman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Atory wrote:A lot of the shows I watch are at a slower pace and usually entail a unique art style. Depends on what you consider to be mind numbingly bad. Personally I find the moe shows to be mind numbing as they don't actually require the viewer to use their mind.

I disagree, Atory. My mind is hard at work when i watch a moe show..
signature removed irredeemably by court order for being massively overloli. have a nice day. :)
Madman
Harbinger of the Lolicaust

by Mappy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:44 pm

As Atory said.... 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Atory » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Madman wrote:I disagree, Atory. My mind is hard at work when i watch a moe show..

You sure it's your mind that is hard at work?
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Atory wrote:
Madman wrote:I disagree, Atory. My mind is hard at work when i watch a moe show..

You sure it's your mind that is hard at work?

Gets mental image...NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :x
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:49 pm

I think the best thing to do is to think of something healthy involving legal age people, Greg. Scott's avatar is a good start. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Hehe, I usually do :p

Anyway, back to topic, the playlist is now on my drive, and is 3 1/4 hours long, so should be fun...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:48 am

Apparently the Adelaide Uni computer labs are loaded with anime fans. Convincing them to come to AJAS...that's the hard part. -_-
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:24 am

Are you trying to give us a packed house Mendes?
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by (mad) » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 am

i brought 2 adelaide uni anime fans from the CS labs last time i came. i'd have brought a third, but he decided against it at the last minute
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:37 pm

20 people in there. They all congregate around the laptop playing Pokemon and start talking about what they like. Moe series, action seires, serious series. They're out there.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by ARTA8SIMS » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 pm

I'll come along on Tuesday and see how things are done with this club. Can't wait!!! :D
ImageImage
Anime collection HDD1: 552GB / 931GB Still going up.
Anime collection HDD2: 804GB / 931GB Still going up.
AOF -- ISML -- AJAS
ARTA8SIMS

by Dhumahn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Well, hopefully you keep coming back for more :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Bazza » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:04 am

I have a feeling we're going to get along rather well..... that or kill eachother. :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Sufferes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm

Bazza wrote:

I have a feeling we're going to get along rather well.....

Baz, I feel like we could get along too... what with our apparent similar interest in cars :P
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by xandox » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 pm

AJAAS - Adelaide Japanese Animation and Automobile Society... it's taking over!
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by Dhumahn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:57 pm

This car was brought to you by Michiko to Hatchin....."stylish and smooth"....
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Last Exile » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Guaranteed to remain unscratched and fully functional even after crashing into churches. The same can't be said for the church though. :wink:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by (mad) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 am

since when have churches been functional? :lol:
(mad)
180 Proof