AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Playlist - 24th February 2009

by Dhumahn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Please note, we are playing doubles this week, so that we can get votes in before the new shows commence the following week. IF YOU WANT THESE SHOWS TO CONTINUE, YOU MUST VOTE!!!!!!

This weeks playlist will be as follows:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann 9
Maria†Holic 4/5 (vote)
Daughter Of 20 Faces 13
Bounen No Xamdou 9
Soul Eater 9/10 (revote - because the crowd is indecisive :evil: )
Doujin Work 8
...and some more Haruhi and Nyoron (eps 2/3 of each) :D

Potemayo takes a week off, even though it was voted on 8)

Always consult the AJAS Playlist Guide for info on what we play.

...enjoy
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 24th February 2009

by White Demon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:16 pm

May I ask what the reasoning behind taking Candy Boy and Penguin Musume Heart off was?

Not that I'm angry about it (I was before but I've cooled off). Just wondering is all.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by xandox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:28 pm

White Demon wrote:May I ask what the reasoning behind taking Candy Boy and Penguin Musume Heart off was?

It's to do with finalizing the regular playlist for O'Week and beyond... Because of the new shows being aired from O'Week we've got more regular shows than spots for them. So the shows that could become regulars are taking preference.

...That made absolutely no sense to anyone other than my sleep deprived brain.
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by (mad) » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:48 pm

who the hell voted for potemayo? i daresay that i won't be able to stand watching it much longer
my absentee vote against it had better have been counted
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Half the room did. And after seeing Guchuko...I just couldn't vote against it. As Mappy says, Guchuko alone justifies watching that. :lol:

Jesus is mad! WE'RE DOOMED! :shock:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Potemayo won 9-4 in the vote, if you weren't there for the episode, don't complain.

Candy Boy has been taken back to the OVA nights.

Penguin Girl has been removed, as I don't think a fat guy in a bikini (which was in episode 3) would be suitable as playlist material.

Hopefully this clarifies a few things.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by (mad) » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:01 am

well, i lodged an absentee vote with barron before i left as i had BIG THINGS to do (you will know about it whin it happens), but it doesn't matter as my vote doesn't count as 6.
and you lie about penguin, it was a well built guy in speedos. not that i really wanted to see either.
(mad)
180 Proof

by Mappy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

I lodged an absentee vote, too, which would've neutralised yours. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Lmao I got so many dirty looks when I voted against potemayo... the show has occasionally funny moments, but overall it's a drag .___. (IMHO ofcourse)

Must say, I'm really enjoying the current playlist though. Gurren Lagann & Dojin Work are brilliant, Xamdu is the slightly-out-of-place-but-still-cool show, and heck even Soul Eater is getting more enjoyable. Although of course the piece de resistance is Mariaholic (c'mon whoever wasn't sold by the "nekomimi bloomers" part this week just doesn't have a soul xD) And DO20F is still the butt monkey of the list, but no one cares about it anyway ^__^

Oh and the haru-chan stuff was good too, you just need to suspend disbelief really, really well XD Loved the one with tsuruya in it :3
khajiit

Location: In the netherworld, casting Giga Star at prinnies 8D

by Sufferes » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

Dhumahn wrote:...and possibly some more Haruhi and Nyoron :D

Can I have more smoked cheese?
:D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by Mappy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 am

khajiit wrote:Lmao I got so many dirty looks when I voted against potemayo... the show has occasionally funny moments, but overall it's a drag .___. (IMHO ofcourse)

8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by mbarron » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Doujin Work will probably move to OAV nights.
Most of the eps are watchable on their own, and its tedious to watch it every week.

MariaHolic HATESTORM: didnt anyone listen when I said it was a ONE OFF, oh well we'll bring it back on after the dust settles.
Noobs MUST NOT know about Yuri and associate AJAS with it, normal people (very PC) are meant to attend Anime clubs as well! (Yes, No, Yes to your statements and questions)

YOU want to be normal dont you! :|
mbarron
Site Admin

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 pm

mbarron wrote:Doujin Work will probably move to OAV nights.
Most of the eps are watchable on their own, and its tedious to watch it every week.

MariaHolic HATESTORM: didnt anyone listen when I said it was a ONE OFF, oh well we'll bring it back on after the dust settles.
Noobs MUST NOT know about Yuri and associate AJAS with it, normal people (very PC) are meant to attend Anime clubs as well! (Yes, No, Yes to your statements and questions)

YOU want to be normal dont you! :|

I'm trying to get double episodes of Doujin Work done, so we can finish it in 3 weeks (or 2 lots of doubles and the final ep on an OVA night, since we have 5 to go)

Maria Holic - The audience is loving this show, and a good way to show noobs the full variety of shows that are available in the world of anime.

As for the PC side of things.... this is Australia, PC should NOT exist here!!!
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Atory » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Maria Holic isn't noob material, as is most stuff by Shaft. It takes someone who has watched a fair amount of anime or know Japanese culture to get all the jokes and references in their shows.

mbarron wrote:YOU want to be normal dont you! :|

"Don't say normal!" - Nami Hitō
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Atory wrote:Maria Holic isn't noob material, as is most stuff by Shaft. It takes someone who has watched a fair amount of anime or know Japanese culture to get all the jokes and references in their shows.

True, and you don't know how much they've actually seen (but we can always throw them off the deep end of we have to, always remember what it was like the first time YOU attended AJAS)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Atory » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:19 pm

Considering my first was nearly my last session. Popotan and Godannar nearly made me leave. If it wasn't for Jigoku Shoujo (which didn't even make it on the playlist) I wouldn't be an AJAS member.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:30 pm

Hopefully we have progressed from those two shows...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by (mad) » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:55 pm

/me remembers some of the first stuff he saw. as i recall, it included the last few eps of elfen lied and mid-way through gantz. now that's something that'd freak people out.
i actually like godannar, it was just so over the top that it was awesome
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Hmm, what was on when I first came...

.hack//SIGN...ick
Chobits...ick
Samurai Deeper Kyo...ick
Wolf's Rain...ick
Earth Defender Mao-Chan...lol
Witch Hunter Robin...decent
Someday's Dreamers...very nice
Scrapped Princess...very nice
Last Exile....the one show that made me keep coming. Even if everything was crap, I would have still come just for Last Exile.

I had a good ttime comapred to most for their first AJAS experience. :lol: :wow: :respect: Score for having Mappy, Kenny, Nick and Dave in charge back then. Not to mention the golden years of 2002-2003. 1998 was also a good year.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 pm

This is now a "What was playing at AJAS at your first meeting" thread. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by GarryGod » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:49 pm

lol awesome hey just a question? when can we have rideback on the playlist? i just watched episode 1 and think its the most awesome anime of 2009...
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by Dhumahn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm working on it, but there's a couple of others which will appear first. 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by GarryGod » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:09 pm

thats cool good 2 know its on the line. :P
Imagethanks GAINAX your writers never stop surprising me...
GarryGod
Net Raider

by xandox » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Last Exile wrote:
Chobits...ick

I happen to like Chobits...
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by Last Exile » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 pm

I wonder how Kenny and Nick would feel about the current playlist. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:56 pm

I know EXACTLY what they would say... but I was a noob myself then, so it shouldn't really matter.
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by White Demon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Boring normal is boring.
And anyway, since when have we EVER been normal?

Mappy wrote:This is now a "What was playing at AJAS at your first meeting" thread. 8)

I remember the first night I came. I turned up late, and Blood: The Last Vampire was playing. Guu, Azumanga Daioh, Rahxephon and Fruits Basket were also played (among other stuff that I can't remember). I remember taking to Fruits Basket straight away, and the others were good too after a few viewings, except for RahXephon, but even then I still watched it. I refused to partake in the mass walkout that many others did when that show came on.
GEEKS RULE!

Nerds suck.

(\_/)
(o.o)
((")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him in his quest for world domination.
White Demon
Purveyor of Playlists

by Sufferes » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:05 pm

"I'm not interested in normal human beings" - Image
Sufferes

by Last Exile » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 am

Several IRL friends/acquaintances of mine have started watching anime over the last few months. They started off with shounen series or something close to shounen. Most of them got initiated with Code Geass and have watched a few other series since.

Shounen/action series are a fairly safe bet to get some people in. So don't make the playlist too confusing/hardcore for first-timers...Hopefully Michiko no Hatchinin and Bounen no Xamdou will fit the bill enough in that regard.

If you're going to keep people coming back, give them some 'quality' and some variety. There was a playlist made of a fair bit of intrigue and spark the first time I went. That got me hooked and I'm sure the variety/mix of genres in what was on kept people engaged. A decent spread will offer a better strike rate for retention. So don't overload the playlist with series that you wouldn't dare watch within 100 miles of your family. Then we may have some better numbers rocking up. I once took a few friends to AJAS back in 2004. They didn't choose to come back as only Samurai Champloo appealed to them. The more otaku-oriented series can be very intimidating/confusing/unsettling for the uninitiated. Just give the new guys a chance to like anime.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 am

It's why I quite like the playlist we have now, it's got a good mix of genres and the lighter/heavier balance is quite well maintained. That and mariaholic is full of win :respect:

One thing that I've really enjoyed lately have been the haru-chan/nyoron videos, the shorts help break up the evening a bit, and are always good for a laugh. I would really suggest that we continue to interject the playlist with these kinds of shorts! Obviously the haru-chan and nyoron vids aren't going to last much loger, but even if we chuck on some decent newgrounds stuff like shorts from the awesome series or something. Can I get an amen? :wow:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:50 am

We did something similar 6 years ago. Problem is, having something that is *ahem* decent *ahem* of that length is near impossible in the long term.

I've personally found the playlist to be skewed this month and I know I'm not the only one that has felt that way. It could just be a matter of opinion, but I've felt pretty awkward with the playlist this month. And most of it I wouldn't show to a newbie.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Hence why the new items commencing in the next week or two, these should really even things out.

As for the H/N combo, more than likely Haruhi will continue (as I think that was all there was of the other one). Besides, its only 5 minutes....
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by khajiit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Last Exile wrote:We did something similar 6 years ago. Problem is, having something that is *ahem* decent *ahem* of that length is near impossible in the long term.

I've personally found the playlist to be skewed this month and I know I'm not the only one that has felt that way. It could just be a matter of opinion, but I've felt pretty awkward with the playlist this month. And most of it I wouldn't show to a newbie.

Ahhh theres always some decent shorts on the internet, heck I even used to contribute at one point... Just look at shadowleggy on youtube, egoraptor on newgrounds or owlwaxer also on youtube. It's all funny nerdy stuff, and it'd fit in really well.

Awkward? How so? There's a couple of mature themes... but certainly nothing explicit and most of it (all of it?) is played for laughs anyway. Also I wouldn't really call the playlist skewed... it's been an almost 50/50 between action and well... not action ^^; And personally I've been really enjoying ajas because of the non-action shows that have been playing (well besides potemayo... its just not funny xD)

It's kind of hard to really say much because I don't really know what your particularly against... if you could fill me in a bit better, id appreciate to hear your side too ^_^

Disclaimer: ^ All IMHO ofcourse .___.
khajiit

by Mappy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:30 am

khajiit wrote:And personally I've been really enjoying ajas because of the non-action shows that have been playing (well besides potemayo... its just not funny xD)

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by khajiit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:10 am

Obviously a fan then, mappy? :lol: I really didnt like the art in it and yeah.. just found it very average. But hey only 2 items out of the playlist do I find not very enjoyable, that's a pretty good ratio, ne? :wink:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:49 am

I think it would be best discussed face-to-face in full, khajit. This really isn't an appropriate place to flesh it out or potentially create a flame war.

But in short:

1. The series that are #1 and #2 on my 10 Most Hated Series of All Time list are currently on the playlist.
2. The two items on the playlist I actually am enjoying are ones you have problems with. They are also the two certain people should really learn to SHUT UP while they are running. Trust me - if people continue to run their mouths during those shows, you're not going to like what's coming from Mappy and Greg if you do.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Lol, it's not going to start a flame war... it's just a difference in opinion ^_^ And I guess fair call, however I will briefly go over your points.

1) I could probably guess the ones, but most hated of all time? Wow, that a bit harsh for ANY show on this playlist .__. I don't particularly like 20 faces but its better than some of the stuff out there.

2) Yeah, I apoligise for that on the time I've broken out in laughter or whatever :oops: I'll try to remove myself from the room if I find another show I don't like, so you can enjoy it without interruption, just like i'd expect for me. So I do apoligise :) It's a fair request.

Anyways that's all for me for now.
khajiit

by Dhumahn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:24 pm

Last Exile wrote:2. The two items on the playlist I actually am enjoying are ones you have problems with. They are also the two certain people should really learn to SHUT UP while they are running. Trust me - if people continue to run their mouths during those shows, you're not going to like what's coming from Mappy and Greg if you do.

Too late, the audience has already been punished for this 8)

Khajiit wrote:2) Yeah, I apoligise for that on the time I've broken out in laughter or whatever I'll try to remove myself from the room if I find another show I don't like, so you can enjoy it without interruption, just like i'd expect for me. So I do apoligise It's a fair request

We don't mind you laughing, actually we encourage it (it shows us that you are enjoying yourself), so long as its with what is playing, and not your own conversations... :D
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by khajiit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Yeah I probably laugh a bit inappropriately during during a certain show, I just didn't realise that someone was really taking offense :ph34r: And lol I came to ajas to make friends... not the exact opposite lol ^_^;

But please, please, please we gotta keep mariaholic *puppy eyes* :lol:
khajiit

by Dhumahn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm keeping mum as to what is on the 10th playlist (and which order they will all be playing) :P
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by khajiit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Dhumahn wrote:I'm keeping mum as to what is on the 10th playlist (and which order they will all be playing) :P

Don't make me break out the electrified nipple clamps, now :lol:
khajiit

by Dhumahn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:07 pm

You can already figure out most of what's on, if you put your mind to it 8)
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by khajiit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:20 pm

My mind, ye say? Argh poor things been working overtime this week... I'll just close meh eyes and pray for the best ^_^
khajiit

by (mad) » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:19 am

khajiit wrote:
Dhumahn wrote:I'm keeping mum as to what is on the 10th playlist (and which order they will all be playing) :P

Don't make me break out the electrified nipple clamps, now :lol:

do want, i hear those are great fun :D although i'd use something else if i was trying to torture people
(mad)
180 Proof

by Last Exile » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 am

If Aaron is doing it, it's bound to be something 'amusing'. :lol:

@khajit: i think you misinterpreted what I said. Twenty Faces and Bounen no Xamdou are the two I actually like. Twenty Faces is a series that has changed a lot along the way. You didn't see the start, so you missed a ton of the crux of the story. You jumped in during a transition period and missed the character building which was part of the charm of the series. If you watched it from the start and still didn't like it, I'd understand. But jumping in halfway through and quickly canning it - not that fair, really.

I've got nothing against laughing at funny moments - not at all. It's more the needless sarcasm during what is supposed to be a serious moment or someone acting like they're about to join the Black Parade and entering sooky-lah-lah mode because something that isn't instant self-gratification is suddenly on.

It's not Potemayo Mappy likes. It's Guchuko. ^^ Why don't people get that? :roll:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Atory » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:00 am

At least it is good to hear people discussing the playlist rather than just being apathetic to what gets played. The outcome of the shows that were voted on at the start of the night may not be the actual outcome of the shows, as Barron had interfered with the usual way of voting "after" the 5th episode of an item has been played. Therefore the votes of all the people who attended that night or sent an absentee vote prior to the screening have been counted and should be included in the totals. I'd hate to have shown up and not been able to cast my vote just because I don't watch the first show.
Atory
UniSAGA President

by Sufferes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:16 am

Last Exile wrote:Twenty Faces is a series that has changed a lot along the way. You didn't see the start, so you missed a ton of the crux of the story. You jumped in during a transition period and missed the character building which was part of the charm of the series.

I know I certainly did :( Plus I missed a bunch of Bounen no X'amd, both of which I like anyway :)

Rocketo-puunch!
Sufferes

by Last Exile » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:27 am

Atory wrote:At least it is good to hear people discussing the playlist rather than just being apathetic to what gets played.

I've never been able to be neutral about a series. Plus I think the downsides of being just another brick in the wall have been proven over and over in history.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Last Exile wrote:It's not Potemayo Mappy likes. It's Guchuko. ^^ Why don't people get that? :roll:

I find literal moeblobs are easier to appreciate when they're somewhat evil and carry enormous, extra-sharp scythes. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:40 pm

IMO Rena and Guchuko would make a good team. Guchuko sucks them in with her cuteneess then tapes them. Then Rena 'takes them home'. :lol:
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:45 pm

I lol'd with that one. :lol:
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Sufferes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Dhumahn wrote:As for the H/N combo, more than likely Haruhi will continue (as I think that was all there was of the other one). Besides, its only 5 minutes....

There are more of each! :D Haruhi-chan is up to episode #6 so far, and Nyoro~n Churuya-san is up to episode #3
Sufferes

by Dhumahn » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:42 pm

We've already played episode 3 of both, next would be episode 4 of Haruhi (whenever the Ultra Director allows us to 8) )

...900 posts and counting...
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn

by Sufferes » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Ah! I have been absent longer than I expected... :oops:
Sufferes

by khajiit » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Last Exile wrote:
@khajit: i think you misinterpreted what I said. Twenty Faces and Bounen no Xamdou are the two I actually like. Twenty Faces is a series that has changed a lot along the way. You didn't see the start, so you missed a ton of the crux of the story. You jumped in during a transition period and missed the character building which was part of the charm of the series. If you watched it from the start and still didn't like it, I'd understand. But jumping in halfway through and quickly canning it - not that fair, really.

I've got nothing against laughing at funny moments - not at all. It's more the needless sarcasm during what is supposed to be a serious moment or someone acting like they're about to join the Black Parade and entering sooky-lah-lah mode because something that isn't instant self-gratification is suddenly on.

No I didn't misinterpret... I know you like those two shows. I can't really be bothered explaining what I wrote, but please reread what I said earlier. I guess I may have said it a bit strangely or vaguely, who knows, I like experimenting with the english language sometimes :P

Although what makes you think I don't like bounen no Xamdou? I'm quite enjoying the series as a matter of fact. And the only real reason why I am not enjoying 20 faces as much as I could is because it contains copious amounts of this, IMO: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Narm Basically, 20 Faces is meant to be a serious show... however every time something serious happens, something so damn absurd happens that I can't help but lol... the most recent example is when 20 Faces releases the white haired woman on the zeppelin... she floats away like they're in water! There is no physical way she could float off like that, at that speed unless she was made of paper.. /khaaaan

I'm the kind of person who, if I'm going to watch something serious... needs to be done well. Examples including Gunslinger Girl, Elfen Lied, Hellsing, Kite, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade and Der Krieg. Heck, even the ending of Wolf's Rain (which up till episode... 18? was fairly average) was done so well that I actually shed tears when the main characters were on the final mountain... But 20 Faces? IMO, it can't hold a candle to those anime. What I'm trying to say is, that its not because I'm shallow or whatever that I don't like it, I'm just critical is all, because it *could* have been great if the script didn't ruin every dramatic moment. :ph34r:
khajiit

by Last Exile » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:29 am

I don't mind a bit of cheese. Frankly, I think a series like 20 Faces needs it to a point. That whole 'what the hell, how did you just do that, lol, but hey that was cool!' factor in some amounts lightens up the show. Otherwise it would get too serious/bleak. Frankly that's one of the qualities that makes it far superior to Lupin, which has so much cheese it would give even Italians heart attacks from clogged arteries. Another factor is on a personal level, I can really relate to Chizuko's plight and I respect that despite the evil and utter idiocy she is surrounded by, she is able to maintain her personal integrity and continue to grow stronger yet still be relatively human via her weaker moments. Plus there's also the factor that Chizuko actually relatively feels like a 'real' girl, rather than just another moe caricature loaded with all the usual traits and cliches. She's refreshing. Sure, the middle part of 20 Faces may be a bit slower than it should be and some of the scenes/moments are a bit 'give me a break/just get to the point'. But it's been fairly consistent throughout. I don't think it's that serious a show. It is in some realtive sense, but not very. I'm reserving proper judgement until I've seen it all. Seven years of watching anime has taught me to be cautious on judging a series too early.

There's also the fact I have a passive immunity to Tropes. :P I find labelling to be unfair and inaccurate a lot of the time.

Bounen no Xamdou has plenty of traits I like - a very energetic vibe via its themes and action, gorgeous/sensual animation, dominant females, a fairly enigmatic/mysterious story that slowly reveals itself. And the show just really reminds me of Last Exile a lot. Akiyuki and Namiaki remind me of Claus and Lavie. The albino people remind me of the Guild. Sannova reminds me of Maestro Delphine. Both have really good music and animation standards. Both involve the skies. And both gradually revealed where they were going, gradually building the character relationships to the tragedies and triumphs that eventuate.

When Bones do a series right, they really do. While a lot of studios have receeded in recent years, Bones has continued to get better. They have been the trendsetter over the last 3-4 years IMO. Pity Gonzo meanders all over the wavelength. One can never know what's in store with them.

As for the rest of the playlist in Feb... cliches + moe overload? But that's just me. Each to their own. As long as it doesn't warrant Interpol getting involved. :P

PS. Since you seem to want to know where I'm coming from and why - this profile will explain it more consisely than I could here or in person.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by khajiit » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 am

Thank you for taking the time to write such a substantial reply, Last Exile xD

Well I will agree with you in the not judging too early, as far as anime goes. It was that way with berserk.. first 6-7 episodes were slow but then it picked up incredibly. Perhaps I should look at 20 faces through a different light and I may enjoy it more. I guess it, to me is like is like an anime form of velocitation. For me, Gurren Lagaan, Mariaholic, Dojin Work and Soul Eater are all like travelling down a highway at 110kph, it's a fast enjoyable ride that provides plenty of thrills and laughs. Then you hit xamdou and 20 faces and it's like slowing down to 60... you're still pumping from the drive and you get a bit antsy moving so slowly. Xamdou I didn't mind so much because it felt like a more mature show, but 20 faces I couldn't really relate to and thusly the slow pace kills me. But as I said, i'll give it another go without prejudice =D

And I tend to find tropes fascinating. Sure they are subjective, but the insight you can find just wiki-surfing is huge.

And yes, I concur, Bones has and continues to be a great studio 8D As for the rest of the list, sure there is a LOT of cute but hey, that's one of the reasons I find anime so appealing in the first place.

Also checked out your profile, you seem like you'd be a great person to have a good debate with :lol: :D
khajiit

by Mappy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am

Last Exile has very strong opinions about anime (in fact, about quite a few things), though not always well expressed in person or in forum posts. However, because he spends hours thinking them through, you tend to get great anime reviews out of him, like the one he did for Kurenai. Which is why I tend to agree with him when he criticizes some of the flakes that do "professional" reviews on "official" websites like ANN. The quality of the writing, there, is appalling. Monkeys with wordprocessors could do a better job.

Also, BONES as a studio is the anti-GONZO. Whilst GONZO can take a good (or great) idea and turn it into a great steaming pile of merde, BONES can take an average (or ill-thought-out idea) and turn it into a great series.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man