Baccano 5 (vote)
Shigofumi 5 (vote)

...enjoy
"Jiiiiiiiiiiii......."
Dhumahn
Highly Legit and Absolutely Shameless

Re: Playlist - 21st October 2008

by Last Exile » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 pm

A certain someone is seriously questioning the validity of the potential vote of around 10 people and whether it should be allowed.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Last Exile wrote:A certain someone is seriously questioning the validity of the potential vote of around 10 people and whether it should be allowed.

If they don't want to be inside the room when the vote comes thats their problem and not ours. :)

I've always wondered why people bother coming to AJAS only to spend the entire screening outside. And although it may be no fault of their own, there's no point in trying to count the vote of people who turn up intermittently.

Unless I missed some voting conspiracy that occurred after I left last night.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm

What someone is questioning is whether people who haven't bothered to watch a series up to episode 5, because they immediately wrote it off after seeing half of the first episode and walk out every time its opening credits come on, have the right to actually vote on its value as an item on AJAS's playlist.

And that someone wasn't me. Though I don't necessarily disagree with this opinion. After all, voting something off in ignorance doesn't guarantee the replacement will be better (frequently, the scenario has been the opposite....)

That's the Catch 22 for people voting on these shows. The alternative could always be very much worse.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Well, for two shows - ever since their 2nd episodes, the room has been a lot emptier. One has the right to decide whether they like something ro not. However, whether they actually gave a show a chance is also relevant. Which is why I like the 5 episode rule. It gives a 'reasonable' indication of where things are going in most series and what it is like. To judge a series by one episode isn't necessarily valid. There are plenty of series which had weak first episodes or even their first two, then got into their stride and were good series. However, patience and AJAS haven't always mixed.

Thing is, apathy does weigh in on a lot of votes. In the past, a good deal of shows have stayed on due to those not liking them not caring enough to vote. Which is probably way the only series given the boot this year is Gundam 00 - because so many people were annoyed by it/not liking it. It comes down to whether a person's dislike for a series is enough for a trigger to raise their hand. Some like the chance to talk for a bit outside, most of us do. However, rocking up just to do that is kind of against the point of AJAS. Sure, 2008 hasn't been a great year for anime thus far, but the playlist has become better over the year. And the fall season is promising. But with a lack of episodes of the newer stuff available, replacing something that gets voted off won't be that easy. Still, I think that was always in the back of one's mind when the new four shows came up. Personally, I think the playlist is better for them being on compared to before they were. But that is completely dependent on individual opinion, really.

What happens next Tuesday - we shall see.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:15 am

Having nothing better to do this morning I got thinking on ways of tackling the issue of non-viewers voting. Problem is there isn't much time for fancy shenanigans in between shows.

Perhaps, during the first 5 episodes of a show, at the end of each episode (or, at the eye catch in the middle - just need someone with a good pause finger!), all people who viewed the show put their name down on a piece of paper, and at episode 5, only those who have, say 3/5 episodes or more viewed are allowed to vote? As I mentioned above, the solution can't be overly complicated or it will put people off voting all together. And then we'd end up with the equivalent of G. W. Bushes on the playlist. :roll:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 pm

The flipside to all this, of course, is that if a show does get voted off we can always provide those who feel put out by the ar$e-voting of others with the remainder of the series, so they can watch it at their own leisure. Things aren't always a complete loss.

And as I keep saying: VOTING SOMETHING OFF DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE REPLACEMENT WILL BE BETTER.

Any questions?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Are we in The Rathole, the Cubbyhouse or Aqua Veta this coming meeting?
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 pm

We're in H202, according to Ryan.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Good to hear. I daresay the Rathole putt some people off last week.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 am

I don't get why people don't like the Rathole. I mean, aside from the stairs-of-natural-selection, of course. The thing I really like about the room is the incline is to steep even a Mappy could sit in front of me and I'd still be able to see the screen. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:53 am

The number of times the computers in The Rathole have failed us over the years FAR OUNTUMBERS the other rooms. Not to mention that weird projector screen.
Disgusting...
Last Exile