AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Australian Top Gear

by Mappy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Link has been around forever on the AVCon Forum, however....

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/st ... 29,00.html
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Australian Top Gear

by edible_hat » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:29 pm

The one in the middle's obviously our version of the Hamster, but which one's Captain Slow?
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by asurin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:01 am

edible_hat wrote:The one in the middle's obviously our version of the Hamster, but which one's Captain Slow?

All of them.

No female presenter though.
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by edible_hat » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:58 am

asurin wrote:No female presenter though.

Well the closest the UK version came was Top Gear Dog.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Ryan White » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 pm

I caved and bought the magazine. It's actually worth reading which is more than I can say for the other Australian motoring magazines.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 am

Is it reprints of articles that appeared in the UK edition?
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:12 pm

It's a mixture of imported and local ingredients.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Last Exile » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:39 am

They're the only decent thing left on TV, either way. Clarkson and Hammond, such a combo.

That Honda Civic certainly got a pasting last night. The BMW and Merc didn't fare too well either. Although the Alfa Romeo seemed to go over well. Even though it lost the race...to a guy walking through 2 miles of mud. That motor home race was a riot too.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:55 am

BMW M5 Estate = I needed new underwear.... and some tissues. :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Yeah, Clarkson's comment after testing that and the Merc was gold.

Hammond: So out of the Merc and the BMW, which one would you pick?
Clarkson: The Land Rover. :lol:

That Honda Civic is a disgrace. Who the hell makes a car that is inferior in speed, design, extras and handling?! The point of a new model is to improve on it! Not to go backwards...Chuck Norris, even The Stig thought it sucked. That supid car ended up in the bottom 10-15 for the time trial.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Bazza » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Last Exile wrote:That Honda Civic is a disgrace. Who the hell makes a car that is inferior in speed, design, extras and handling?! The point of a new model is to improve on it! Not to go backwards...Chuck Norris, even The Stig thought it sucked. That supid car ended up in the bottom 10-15 for the time trial.

A lot of cars are turning out like that today. One reason is strict safety equipment requirements, which adds weight and restricts the cars styling (MX5's pop-up lights are banned, for example)

An early 90's 300ZX TT is faster in a straight line than a top-of-the-line 350Z. The new 'GT-R', despite being 15 years its junior, and having an extra 1.0 liters to play with, is only moderately quicker on a track then an R32 GT-R

But with that being said, Shana-chan makes the same number of horsepowers and torques as a brand new Astra hatch.

Holden: 1
Nissan: -3 :evil:

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Last Exile wrote:That Honda Civic is a disgrace. Who the hell makes a car that is inferior in speed, design, extras and handling?!

*snip*
Bazza wrote:A lot of cars are turning out like that today. One reason is strict safety equipment requirements, which adds weight and restricts the cars styling

It is fortunate, really, that Honda designed the new Civic Type-R to the latest safety requirements, because the ultimate product of those enforced requirements is a car that is more likely to have an accident through sheer road-handling ineptitude.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Seriously, when that car turned, I thought Clarkson wouldn't be able to keep it on the road. And he was going at reasonable speeds at that point. And who was the wingnut that designed the seat?! A ratchet to move it back and forth and it resets to a crappy position, not to mention not giving enough room to sit in for half of the general population?! Honestly, the new Civic seems to be a perfect lesson of how NOT to build a car. And if new mandatory regulations for safety are making it worse than it was a few years ago, that kind of defeats the purpose. Or perhaps the engineers for this model were just scrubs.
Disgusting...
Last Exile