AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

SBS to make Aussie Top Gear

by asurin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:48 am

I fu**ing love SBS :D

"Australia is the first country in the world to secure the rights to make a local version of the much loved show."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007 ... ion=justin

http://www21.sbs.com.au/topgear/
Purveyor of live action Japanese TV shows.
asurin

by Ryan White » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 am

This is going to fail for a number of reasons.
They are going to trying to make it Australian, not that I noticed Top Gear being overly British.
The show will need somebody as brutal and sarcastic as Jeremy Clarkson in order to work and I'm not sure the universe could take multiple versions of the personality.
The Pedestrian Council of Australia will ruin all the fun of the show, afterall they even manage to get ads pulled for irresponsible driving.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Bazza » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:37 pm

As much as I love the concept... I can't help but think this will turn out like the Euro version of Pimp My Ride... vomit.gif

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Tommy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:20 pm

I found a quote on another forum which pretty much sums it up:

Wishbone wrote:
DOMINATOR_ wrote:i doubt it'll top the current top gear, but here's hoping

It cant. Top Gear is Clarkson with a pinch of Capt Slow and the Hammster. It would be impossible to repeat that recipe.
Tommy

by Mappy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:38 pm

As has been said, the only reason that the Brit version of Top Gear works is because of Clarkson, Hammond and May. Top Gear has been around since 1978, but was canceled in 2001 after Clarkson left the show to do other work in 1998 and the ratings slid, thus seeing most of those working on the show at the time take up an offer from Channel Five to continue the original format under the title "5th Gear". If you want to see why Top Gear never made it to Australian tv before a couple of years ago, catch an episode of 5th Gear. Yawn.

The show was uncanceled for 2002 when Clarkson and Hammond agreed to join the only remaining cast member, James May, on a new format show.

I expect the Australian version of Top Gear to be full of crap wannabe Australian "characters" giving us crappy reviews of the latest Dunnydores and Farkons. Australia is, sadly, devoid of anyone with charisma. The end.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Ryan White » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Not to mention the Australian car market sees very low numbers of any serious piece of automotive engineering. Think in the 1-10 range.
"The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;" - William Butler Yeats
B9 5E 43 72 1F D8 F5 1E 1A 9C 7E AB 04 20 E9 DC - This is my 128-bit integer, don't get any ideas about stealing it.
Ryan White
AJAS President

by Mappy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:29 am

Yes, we are a country with only 3 Pagani Zondas and no Bugatti Veyrons. This will lead to lots of wonderful set pieces about how amazing the Toyota Corolla really is.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by michu_kitty » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:50 pm

Top Gear is a great show!
michu_kitty

by Bazza » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Mappy wrote:This will lead to lots of wonderful set pieces about how amazing the VK Commodore really is

Oh hi! I fixed your quote. :)

Honestly, Australia does not make a single super car as far as I'm aware. The show will either run features on the same cars the original has already covered, or will be comprised of in-depth reviews of the Hyundai Excel or the neighbors fullysik Skyline. Set sail for epic fail. 8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Last Exile » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:04 pm

The only thing I know about Australian cars is that Monaros look kind of cool. That's it.
Disgusting...
Last Exile