AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

This is Snake, can you hear me, Otacon?

by stormy001 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:33 am

Article:

Full URL Source

TOKYO, Oct. 19 — On a narrow Tokyo street, near a beef bowl restaurant and a pachinko parlor, Aya Tsukioka demonstrated new clothing designs that she hopes will ease Japan’s growing fears of crime.

Deftly, Ms. Tsukioka, a 29-year-old experimental fashion designer, lifted a flap on her skirt to reveal a large sheet of cloth printed in bright red with a soft drink logo partly visible. By holding the sheet open and stepping to the side of the road, she showed how a woman walking alone could elude pursuers — by disguising herself as a vending machine.

The wearer hides behind the sheet, printed with an actual-size photo of a vending machine. Ms. Tsukioka’s clothing is still in development, but she already has several versions, including one that unfolds from a kimono and a deluxe model with four sides for more complete camouflaging.

These elaborate defenses are coming at a time when crime rates are actually declining in Japan. But the Japanese, sensitive to the slightest signs of social fraying, say they feel growing anxiety about safety, fanned by sensationalist news media. Instead of pepper spray, though, they are devising a variety of novel solutions, some high-tech, others quirky, but all reflecting a peculiarly Japanese sensibility.
-------------------------------------

I dunno about you guys, but this idea rocks yet at the same time hilarious. I do wonder can it really work. God bless Japan for their kooky ideas.

Maybe I should try and become a vending machine in middle of the night.
http://anime-comments.blogspot.com/

My personal anime blog.
stormy001

by Mappy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 am

Like nobody is going to notice a Coke machine that looks like a canvas marquee with a pair of sneakers for a base....

They'd be trying to break into the coinbox in Elizabeth. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 am

Mappy wrote:They'd be trying to break into the coinbox in Elizabeth. 8)

...if you know what I mean... :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:19 am

I know what you mean. 8)
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 am

Mappy wrote:I know what you mean. 8)

Ahh, but do I know what *you* mean?

Do *I* know what I mean for that matter?

Do I mean what I know? I think that's one for the philosophers. :)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by edible_hat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm

It's stupid but it just might work. After all, some dummkopf used his own car (with "FOR SALE" and his phone number printed on the back window) as a getaway car yesterday.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by michu_kitty » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:58 pm

I love Japan's kooky ideas, but I can see their feet
michu_kitty