AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Production Cels

by KittyKat » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:08 pm

I was just curious to know if anyone else collected production art? I want to get rid of some cels, and I would like not to have to put them up on evilbay, and it would be nice to keep them in Australia :D
Even if your not interested I would still like to know if anyone else collects cels, not many collectors outside the US. We must band together! :) hehehe
KittyKat

by Pirate Man » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Might be helpful if you list what you have *hint hint* :(
Pirate Man
Forum /b/tard

by KittyKat » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:50 pm

KittyKat

by Rasberry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:29 pm

ok i am possibly either silly or tired but can someone here help me on cels.

now are cells the clear plastic that they draw a character on to and place over a back ground?

are the cells hand drawn or are they done on a computer?

are the cels offered here authentic ones that were actually used in the real anime and with that how does one tell that they are in fact the originals?
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by edible_hat » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:49 am

I believe that pretty much all animation these days (i.e. done this century) is done on computer, so any cells for those shows are definitely fake. Cell animation is usually done by hand (senior artists draw the keyframes, and junior artists get to do the in-betweening). Real cels should have a certificate of authenticity.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Mappy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:43 pm

A great many cells, these days, are indeed fake. However, hand-drawn cells are still used in anime quite a lot.... Most cg work tends to be limited to the colour balance process.

Not all official cells come with certificates.... the sheer number of them just doesn't warrant it. And people would be in tears, watching extras from Ghibli dvds, showing them making a small bonfire out of their original cells.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by KittyKat » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:59 pm

Rasberry wrote:now are cells the clear plastic that they draw a character on to and place over a back ground?

Yes cels are created on acetate and then painted onto.

are the cells hand drawn or are they done on a computer?

All orginal cels are hand painted, only sketchs exist of computer animated shows.

are the cels offered here authentic ones that were actually used in the real anime and with that how does one tell that they are in fact the originals?

Yes my cels are all authentic, I would tell you if they weren't. I'd hate to be cheated myself. You can usually tell is a cel is real or fan made by the numbers at the top right of the cel. If there are numbers then it is real.

You would be very lucky to get an orginal cel with a certificate. Like it has been said, it isn't possible to do one for every cel. The higher end cels might have one, but probably only if they came for the studio or one of the artists that worked there.
KittyKat

by Mappy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Key frame cels are the prized ones. They are the ones likely to have a certificate and the like. But the vast majority of cels are inbetweeners, and look pretty crap on their own, because of what they are. Still, one from a film and/or a relatively older production would be worth a penny or two, these days.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by KittyKat » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:38 pm

So far none of my key cels have a certificate. I have a timing sheet though :) Those are hard to come by.
KittyKat

by Rasberry » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:56 pm

so what kind of prices are the cells?
Rasberry
N00bhunter

by KittyKat » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:33 pm

I have a few more-
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249 ... 1/new1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249 ... 1/new2.jpg

Prices :) Mmm well it depends on the offer, hehe.
I can put a price on the misc. cels (122), $5 each.
This is hard, putting a price on the others.
Mmmm, for the sequence cels (117,233,234) I think I would be looking for $20 each. These sequence cels are multi-layered. And have 2 or more douga.

All the cels come with their matching douga (sketch)
Some of the cels are key cels, I will have a look at which ones if you want to know.

$15 for the pan cel, this cel is longer than a normal sized cel and has multiple layers and a few douga.

The other cels - lets say between $10-$15 depending on which one it is.

Does that help. I would be willing do discount if you bought multiple cels, or if you wanted the sequence sets.
KittyKat