AJAS.org.au Forum Archive

Adelaide Japanese Animation Society

AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Top 100 Albums of all time poll voted by Aussies

by Last Exile » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:43 am

http://www.abc.net.au/myfavouritealbum/top100.htm

For the list overall, I mostly approve of it. However, two things annoy me about that list. The demographic of the voters is a bit skewed for that many Pink Floyd and Beatles albums to feature that high on the list. First list I've seen in a long time that didn't have Nirvana or Nickelback at #1. Meh, any poll that has Nickelback in the top 10 always has some credence.

Still, Dark Side of the Moon at #1 was a bit rich. Hell, blutig Dicko had to fight off the rest of the panel from biting his nuts off over that result. He spends the previous half hour trashing Jeff Buckley and Nickelback while the rest praise them then, as Judith Lucy so aptly put it, raves on about a 'blown up, overrated pretentious wank-off.' Funny thing was, that's exactly how you'd describe Dicko.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:23 am

I don't really like Jeff Buckley all that much, so I agreed with the comment that, if he hadn't gone swimming one night Grace would probably not be as popular an album as it is. On the flipside, Dark Side of the Moon was in the Australian Top 100 albums, sales-wise, for years. That has to count for something, even if it is bloated and pompous. I don't really like Pink Floyd all that much, either.... 8)

Also, I must DESTROY all those who voted Blood Sugar Sex Magik into number 8. There are few bands whose very presence and image make me homicidal. The Red Hot Chilli Fu.... Peppers.... are one of them....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Last Exile » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:07 pm

I am a Jeff Buckley fan myself but I easily understand why people wouldn't like him or Nickelback. There's no middle ground with those two. You either admire them greatly or loathe them.

Agreed, Mappy. RHCP are heavily overrated. Yes, Under The Bridge was a good song. But that's their problem. RHCP will have about 3-4 good songs max on any album while the rest of the album is just crap.

What really amused me about the list was the lack of presence of Powderfinger. After being worshipped by the masses through the late 90s and early naughties, suddenly the public has turned on them. The aftershock of Vulture Street and 'Bernald's' solo album really showed there. Sadly, Bernard Fanning is the ultimate rock wanker now.

I get that Pink Floyd pioneered the psychedelic and contemptuous sides of rock and that Nickelback, The Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails owe Pink Floyd a fair bit. However, I definitely think those 3 bands have done far better than Pink Floyd. Dark Side of the Moon is listenable but I don't feel anything magical about it. There are moments from The Wall that I like, though.

Frankly I think Connell and 'Dutchy' Mark were 99% of the votes for Pink Floyd. :P
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:13 am

Last Exile wrote:I am a Jeff Buckley fan myself but I easily understand why people wouldn't like him or Nickelback. There's no middle ground with those two. You either admire them greatly or loathe them.

Nickelback doesn't irritate me so much. I have the albums The Bends and OK Computer as well as the Creep EP. And no, OK Computer wasn't that good. It's just that music in 1997 was pretty blutig blah.

And my memories of 1994-95 are such that Jeff Buckley didn't even rate a mention. It has only been since then that Grace has attained some kind of cult status.

Last Exile wrote:Agreed, Mappy. RHCP are heavily overrated. Yes, Under The Bridge was a good song. But that's their problem. RHCP will have about 3-4 good songs max on any album while the rest of the album is just crap.

Blah, there are no good RHCP songs. None whatsoever. *puts hands over ears* blahblahblah I'm not listening....

I think my hatred for them crystalised when the lead singer made a comment about not liking TISM's (He'll Never Be An) Old Man River. I know why he didn't like it, but it still made me hate the fake, plastic, talentless phoaques that populate that putrid outfit.

Meh.... Too much hate for something that doesn't matter....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man