AJAS Forum Archive

Forum Administrators and Moderators

Top Gear Australia

by Mappy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Top Gear Australia

by edible_hat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:25 pm

They needed better stunts and challenges... the only one that really stands out was the Toorak tractor, whereas the UK version has done "home made" limos, police cars, limos, amphibious cars and a space shuttle.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

http://edible-hat.livejournal.com/
edible_hat

by Phill » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:47 pm

I really enjoyed it myself. Favourite part was the Smart Hearse, or the Astra Lawn Balls.
Phill
Needs Moar Desu

by xandox » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 am

The problem with Top Gear Australia from the start was that it was trying to be Top Gear...

Unfortunately, Top Gear is actually about about the love triangle of Jeremy Richard and James... their common interest is in the cars... If anyone has seen the first season of Top Gear they'll know that James wasn't part of the show and there was this guy with info on the used car industry... unfortunately it was boring as hell. It wasn't until James May was selected for the show that the relationship between the three became the show that it is now.

That was what SBS was trying to re-create, and they did pick the right people. Unfortunately they forgot about the content which meant we ended up with a formulaic yet junty show that didn't feel original... because it's already been done...

So there you go people... now let the flaming begin!
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by Last Exile » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:49 pm

From what I heard, even the original is in trouble after Clarkson made a comemnt playing on a lorry driver who murdered prostitutes. :o
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by Mappy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 pm

And he made a joke out of it on the next episode. In short, "I don't care". And the show is still going. Because Clarkson is not the sort to be quiet if the BBC canned the show for a comment that wasn't even close to the most offensive thing that has been said on Top Gear, let alone some of the demonstrably shite other programming that the BBC is serving up, these days.

I mean, they make a show called Doctor Who, which, to someone raised on another show called Doctor Who, only good and on a miniscule budget, is an utterly offensive abomination and a slap in the face for all the years I, and people like me, have begged for the show to return. And they're not stopping there.... I heard they have started airing a remake of Terry Nation's "Survivors". God help us all....
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by edible_hat » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Mappy wrote:Clarkson is not the sort to be quiet if the BBC canned the show for a comment that wasn't even close to the most offensive thing that has been said on Top Gear

Sort of like Charlie Cox casually using the word "poofteenth" in a review (something like "it only has a poofteenth more power than the previous model"). They got complaints about that, their response was that poofteenth is a real word, and it became a running gag of sorts (I counted 2 more uses of the word, both followed by giggling from the audience).

Personally I was more amused by the fact that some of the people who said "it will be scheiße, they won't get it anywhere close to the UK formula" before the show aired said "it's scheiße, they've copied the UK formula" after the first episode.

Mappy wrote:they make a show called Doctor Who, which, to someone raised on another show called Doctor Who, only good and on a miniscule budget, is an utterly offensive abomination and a slap in the face for all the years I, and people like me, have begged for the show to return

That's all down to Russel T Davies thinking his executive producing abilities include being able to write. Fortunately he let Stephen Moffatt write a few so it's not all bad. And Moffatt takes over as head honcho in 2010.
Mel Gibson's remake of The Life of Brian is nowhere near as funny as the original.

There are four autonomic responses, and they all start with F. Fright, fight, flight and making love. -Dr Karl

edible_hat

by Bazza » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:38 am

The crew for Top Gear Australia should have been me, Ryan and Barron.

hektik street ricer punk vs. Commodore driver vs. Economy car owner

It would be awesome. 8)

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Mappy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:01 am

edible_hat wrote:
Mappy wrote:they make a show called Doctor Who, which, to someone raised on another show called Doctor Who, only good and on a miniscule budget, is an utterly offensive abomination and a slap in the face for all the years I, and people like me, have begged for the show to return

That's all down to Russel T Davies thinking his executive producing abilities include being able to write. Fortunately he let Stephen Moffatt write a few so it's not all bad. And Moffatt takes over as head honcho in 2010.

It is more than that, though.... I remember interviews with other production team members, talking about Moffatt's scripts as if they were somehow remarkable, when his scripts should have been used as a baseline example for the other writers for what was expected of them.

They were also shown The Talons of Weng-Chiang, from the Philip Hinchclife/Robert Holmes days as Producer/Script Editor (the early Tom Baker years), which were the pinnacle of the original show's history, and they were squeamish about the implied racism because some of the villains were Chinese.... I'm sorry, what part of making aliens invade the Earth (read: the United Kingdom) on a weekly basis is not an analogy to your country being attacked by nasty foreign people?

Russel T Davies was a good writer in the past, but his concept of sci-fi is incredibly banal, and every episode is forced to have a monster of some description by some unspoken decree.... Yes, I'm glad Moffatt is taking over, but I don't see very much changing in the heads of the production crew.

Bazza wrote:The crew for Top Gear Australia should have been me, Ryan and Barron.

hektik street ricer punk vs. Commodore driver vs. Economy car owner

It would be awesome. 8)

Barron likes to drive his 3 cyl Charade like it is a ricer. Which you would be able to get away with if it were something like the Suzuki, VW or Honda 3cyls, which throw out more than their fair share of horses. But the Daihatsu doesn't produce anything close to what it used to produce, and Barron admits the older model that he'd had in the past was better than the one he has, now.
Mappy
Grumpy Old Man

by Bazza » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:46 pm

He should trade it in for a Daihatsu Mira then. Those things look like housebricks but they are pretty quick for what they are.

There was a turbo model that lived around Hollywood Plaza while I worked there.

Resident tank enthusiast. See me for racist and opinionated storytelling and vaguely accurate historical tank warfare-themed rants.
Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by sxc_anime_lover » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:36 pm

it is awsome
i like shiney things they make me laugh and i am crazy hehehehe
sxc_anime_lover

by edible_hat » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:25 am

The other day I saw something amusing. Did you know that SAPOL has a Monaro that they use to catch hoons?

This nong in a purple Commodore found out by challenging it to a drag race.

hey were squeamish about the implied racism because some of the villains were Chinese

That happens all the time with feminists. Female villains are sexist because it implies that all women are evil. Female heroes are sexualising and objectifying women. Female minor characters say that the producers don't care enough about women to give them major parts, and no female characters says that the producers don't think women are important enough to mention. And any long, thin thing is really a penis, especially if it's on or near two round things.

edible_hat

by edible_hat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:26 pm

*bump*

Let's see if Top Gear Australia does any better with a presenter who's actually presented a car show before...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html

Charlie Cox is leaving (citing business commitments in the UK) and being replaced by James Morrison, who used to host Behind The Wheel.

This means there will be two musically inclined presenters, hopefully they'll gang up on Steve Pizzati.

edible_hat

by Sufferes » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:54 pm

Aw, man! Charlie was my favourite... :(
I'm the Moustache Maaaaaan!
Sufferes

by xandox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm

This is pretty hilarious considering when Morrison came to do his lap he basically took over the whole show.
xandox

Location: Well Duh! Posting in the forums! (You're trying to trick me aren't you?)

by edible_hat » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:32 pm

Expect less from the UK version in 2009.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/st ... 81,00.html

edible_hat

by Last Exile » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:13 pm

AH CRAP! /khaaaan

Then again, Clarkson gets a freaking nice paycheck to live every heterosexual guy's dream job.
Disgusting...
Last Exile

by xandox » Mon May 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Well, it's back again...

The episode wasn't too bad. James Morrison doesn't fell quite like a host yet. But then, it's only been his first show. It does feel a bit more "Top Gear"-like. I cheered when they crushed the "What were they thinking?" board. That segment was a craporama and a half!

Give it a few weeks and we'll see if the show works this time!
xandox

by Bazza » Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am

Electric powered Kingswood station wagon. I don't know if I'm going to be cheering in delight or sending them baby power in the mail. :)

Bazza
A Trap is Fine Too

by Hans Stockmann » Tue May 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Bazza wrote:Electric powered Kingswood station wagon.

Strike me pickled grandama!
Although I don’t know about the directions at 4:51.
It’s commonly known when you look north in Japan East is to your left. Please don’t try to correct that sentence. It lasts only for a second but I wouldn’t expect a mistake like that.
Hans Stockmann
Master Asia's True Apprentice

by edible_hat » Thu May 14, 2009 11:53 am

Best line of the night: "Please tell me this is taking us out to the real boat."

edible_hat